Trusting a new hubber with a large purchase

pmswanepoel

Looking to buy an expensive bike from a new hubber (member since May of 2017) in an area not close to me (he in Western Cape, me in Gauteng). I am wary of being scammed etc.

I have not contacted the person yet. The bike he is selling is exactly the bike I am looking for.

Any advice/recommendations please? I really want the bike.

TIA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Allrounder said or perhaps deal through a LBS. I think there are some that offer a "health check" service to give you peace of mind about what you are buying. Maybe they can handle the transaction too.

Get someone to have a look at it (either a bike shop or a hubber) and if you still feel you need more safety then I think the site has partnered with payvault(?) or you could use something like Shepard.

https://www.paywithshepherd.com

Ok, soooooo, what bike exactly would suit you?

Not that I would then search for that bike on the classifieds and then stalk the seller?

Asking for a friend.

Ok, soooooo, what bike exactly would suit you?

Not that I would then search for that bike on the classifieds and then stalk the seller?

Asking for a friend.

You're such a good fellow Hubber!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Have him take the bike to a bike shop in his area and chat to the owner of the bike shop to please assist  you . Then you get a trained eye on it before you part with your cash and you know the bike is as described .

Thanks everyone, sound advice. Any of you in George?

Hello Pmswanepoel

Contact "Willie Marx Cycles" York str George, 044 8746470.

I received Above and Beyond service, was touring past George. Mr Marx met with me at a SHELL where he repaired my bike.

David

Hello Pmswanepoel

Contact "Willie Marx Cycles" York str George, 044 8746470.

I received Above and Beyond service, was touring past George. Mr Marx met with me at a SHELL where he repaired my bike.

David

Thank you very much -will do. 

Thank you for all the input, hubbers. I feel more confident about this now. 

I have contacted the seller and hope to hear back soon.

Archived