S-Works worth it?

ScaredShiftless

Hang on a sec. Your wife has a R10k mtb and you wanna buy a bike for R130k? Before you make your decision, spend R40k on a new bike for your wife. Then decide if you can afford/need the s-works.

Not being critical of the op, but it is such a male thing to undermine woman's sport and express this financially.

Ooh this is getting saucy now... She actually just rides her MTB for fun, and is more a trail runner and hip-hop dancer in her free time. So no undermining or expressing of any kind going on...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're overstating how much better an S-works model is compared to the Expert... In your BMW comparison there is a 150+ kW difference between a 320 and a M3, including a fancy brand name sound system, completely different suspension tuned for racing, waaay better brakes (as in double the performance), improved finishes, improved safety features, latest traction control and engine management tech etc.  So if you compare a 320i with a M3 you literally buy 40% more performance / enjoyment which is almost proportionally aligned with the difference in cost.

A bike is a lot simpler and blindfolded I'll challenge you to find (even by comparing your power data) more than a 5% difference between the two bikes on all levels combined.  So the 40%+ increase in price only buys you at best a 5% increase in performance / enjoyment / reliability.  So it's not an argument of changing a donkey into a racehorse, it's more like choosing between a racehorse that wins every time to a racehorse that picks up a few 2nd and 3rd places along the way.

Interesting analogy. Thing is, an M3(R1.2m) is way more than 40% more expensive than a 320i(R536k). Just saying...

Sigh.

You're right, but you're also wrong. It's not just S Works vs Expert. It's also Camber vs Stumpy. Therefore the answer is not what he can afford, even though that would be the answer if he were to be choosing between 2 cambers or stumpies. It's which bike suits his riding style more.

For me, that's the stumpy. More versatile, more composed on the rough stuff and still an exceptional pedaller. Use the 40k saving to upgrade the wheels and other bits to ones he really wants and add in a few skills sessions or a holiday overseas, and you're golden.

For him, the camber may be the right choice.

Determine which bike you want first. THEN choose the model. If you want the Stumpy, buy the frame set and build it up to your spec. You don't HAVE to buy a full bike.

Buying a camber s works just because you can't get a stumpy s works is a stupid decision to make. Buying a camber s works because you really want a Camber and can afford the s works is not a stupid decision.

To put it differently. If you really wanted a Merc G63 but they only had the G500, you wouldn't buy a GLA63 just to get the AMG badge.

Good advice. Thanks.

Interesting analogy. Thing is, an M3(R1.2m) is way more than 40% more expensive than a 320i(R536k). Just saying...

haha, i clearly haven't been shopping around for sport cars lately...

Sigh.

You're right, but you're also wrong. It's not just S Works vs Expert. It's also Camber vs Stumpy. Therefore the answer is not what he can afford, even though that would be the answer if he were to be choosing between 2 cambers or stumpies. It's which bike suits his riding style more.

For me, that's the stumpy. More versatile, more composed on the rough stuff and still an exceptional pedaller. Use the 40k saving to upgrade the wheels and other bits to ones he really wants and add in a few skills sessions or a holiday overseas, and you're golden.

For him, the camber may be the right choice.

Determine which bike you want first. THEN choose the model. If you want the Stumpy, buy the frame set and build it up to your spec. You don't HAVE to buy a full bike.

Buying a camber s works just because you can't get a stumpy s works is a stupid decision to make. Buying a camber s works because you really want a Camber and can afford the s works is not a stupid decision.

To put it differently. If you really wanted a Merc G63 but they only had the G500, you wouldn't buy a GLA63 just to get the AMG badge.

Myles, have you not read the thread? FFS

If there is one thing that we can take away from this frivolous discussion, it is that if you want to get through to an Sworks rider, you have to talk BMWs and BMWs with an M badges ????

Myles, have you not read the thread? FFS

If there is one thing that we can take away from this frivolous discussion, it is that if you want to get through to an Sworks rider, you have to talk BMWs and BMWs with an M badges

:lol:

I definitely want to... It's just that the financial manager (a.k.a. my lovely wife) doesn't quite see it that way! She is super happy on her R10k GT Zaskar.

Are you looking for advice on which bike to buy or on how to deal with your wife? the second question might be beyond the hub!

Why look at an S Works at all.  There are plenty other bike brands that are just as good or even better.  

Why look at an S Works at all.  There are plenty other bike brands that are just as good or even better.  

Such as?

(not refuting this, just curious as to others opinions on whats "better")

Such as?

Nishiki.

Such as?

Well personally (and i am not saying the s works is bad) I like the Scott Scalpel

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2016/06/Spark-RC-900-Worldcup_PL_Detail-Image_2017_BIKE_SCOTT-Sports_01.jpg

Well personally (and i am not saying the s works is bad) I like the Scott Scalpel

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2016/06/Spark-RC-900-Worldcup_PL_Detail-Image_2017_BIKE_SCOTT-Sports_01.jpg

Sorry man got my names mixed up this is the Spark RC limited

HUH? That the Caitlyn Jenner of bikes?

That is a nice bike!

Archived