S-Works worth it?

ScaredShiftless

Hehehe .... and you get this same pattern in ALL sports .... actually more sad than funny

If memory serves me, you made a post a some time back about "the person" that puts in the extra hours, makes some extra money, and who then spends it on what they enjoy ..... GOOD FOR THEM !

I did yes ????????

It also reminds of the Strava thread. It was the guys screaming "only wankers use Strava" that came across as the knobheads. Irony I tell you.

Anyways, back on topic.

The bikes we NEED and the bikes we WANT, are two very different conversations.

If we all bought the bikes we NEED, we would all be on entry level Stumpies or all drive Corrolas as another chap said.

Let the man buy the bike he wants. He came here for advice on the difference between and Expert and Sworks, he didn't come here to be told his tottie will shrink and that he should rather buy a Trance.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn't that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you". Marilyn Monroe.

I had an S-Works Camber and now ride an S-Works Epic. It is also very unlikely that I will ever win any major title and I most certainly don't have the largest tottie...

But I did do my homework and 99% of the replies here are either missing the point or plain stupid. Are there better bikes? Probably. And - if you have the cash, one must assume that you can also afford all the silly alternatives being suggested?

I love tech stuff, and with the S-Works you get more than "just" the few extra bits mentioned above, like wheels, a better carbon frame and a "few carbon bits". Virtually every component is "better" - as in everything. What is the point in buying a "lesser" bike and then swopping the saddle, the wheels, etc... that is like buying a BMW 320d and fitting other wheels, then believing you have an M car!

Fact is, like it or not, that the S-Works is worth the sum of it's parts. Are the parts worth it, that is your choice? For me they are - my bike is fast, reliable, awesome to ride and makes me happy, and...  imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Remember - no amount of makeup will make a donkey into a racehorse  ;)

Au contraire, comparing an expert/pro to s-works model, the s-works is the BMW320 with M-badges on. 

IMO, it's about being honest with yourself and to know what is good enough. We all want the best in life, and nothing should ever stop someone from wanting the best and working for it. 

But when someone gets a s-works (or whatever top-of-the-range-best-that-money-can-buy) only give you bragging rights, make you feel better about yourself, for others attention or your own obsessive, insatiable desire - you've missed the point. Trust me, you'll never land any pussy if you drop that you ride an s-works, or be the center of attention at the wedding reception. And if you don't have the skills and level of performance to back  it up, no one is going to come running to give you high fives on the trails either.

Hang on a sec. Your wife has a R10k mtb and you wanna buy a bike for R130k? Before you make your decision, spend R40k on a new bike for your wife. Then decide if you can afford/need the s-works.

Not being critical of the op, but it is such a male thing to undermine woman's sport and express this financially.

Hang on a sec. Your wife has a R10k mtb and you wanna buy a bike for R130k? Before you make your decision, spend R40k on a new bike for your wife. Then decide if you can afford/need the s-works.

Not being critical of the op, but it is such a male thing to undermine woman's sport and express this financially.

post-83023-0-89798100-1499928280.jpg

Thats a bit harsh, maybe she's not into sport.

How do you know he hasn't bought her a top of the range washing machine, dishwasher, or iron and ironing board?

Thats a bit harsh, maybe she's not into sport.

How do you know he hasn't bought her a top of the range washing machine, dishwasher, or iron and ironing board?

Or a state of the art Damasteel bread knife? 

Or she can use her own money and buy herself a bicycle. This husband has to buy wife stuff before he can spoil himself is antiquated and stupid. 

whats a 150grams any way now for R40k

You obviously don't do enough drugs.

150grams for R40k is a bloody good deal.

OP comes here to ask bicycle advise and gets called a sexist.... W the ACTUAL F!

or maybe she has no real interest in the sport .... speaking from my personal experience here.

Or a state of the art Damasteel bread knife? 

I WANT ONE OF THOSE PLEASE....HELL .... MAKE IT A FULL SET OF KNIVES!

that is fooking flaming amazing balls and vaginas!!!!!

worth it just to meet Mr Morewood.

Fixed it for you, before you get called a chauvinist. 

The question people are addressing is whether we really need top of the range components on our bikes.

Measured against THAT question - heck no ....

Thankfully there is more to life than the "bare minimum".

Sadly I am not at the Swork stage of life ,,,, heck, still trying to get to the Spez stage of life ..... but happy for those that have made it there

Let' not forget, it is that top few spenders that spur development, that ultimately filter down to the rest of us .... THANKS 

Archived