S-Works worth it?

ScaredShiftless

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 Pages and no one has asked OP whether he has the cash to buy the full Spez kit if he goes with the S-Works? 

OP, if you ride an S-Works, you need to be kitted from head to toe in full Spez regalia - bright red and white, of course. It's the law. 

6 Pages and no one has asked OP whether he has the cash to buy the full Spez kit if he goes with the S-Works?

OP, if you ride an S-Works, you need to be kitted from head to toe in full Spez regalia - bright red and white, of course. It's the law.

And the new Fact 11 Carbon tottie enlarger! Available on preorder.

Hi Hubbers

I am in the market to upgrade my 2014 Spez Stumpjumper Expert to a new 2018 S-Works Camber.

I have always wanted to own a model from the S-Works line-up and the new 2018 model looks fantastic! Spez SA won't be bringing in the (complete build) 2018 S-Works Stumpy so it has to be the Camber.

I would like to hear from fellow Hubbers that actually own S-Works models if it is worth the extra expense, or is it OK to go for the Expert model in the line-up. The S-Works model will sell for about R130k compared to R90k for the Expert model. Apart from showing off with the S-Works decals and a few fancy carbon bits, is it really worth it?

Happy riding!

Looks like they are bringing it in 

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/men/bikes/mountain/trail/sworks-stumpjumper-fsr-29/115267

Edit: or is this the 2017 model?

Edited by Quagga

The S-Works will certainly be worth it for bike jackers. Go for the S-Works AWR model.

(AWR - Accelerated Wealth Redistribution)

Not all purchases are completely 100% practical. If that was the case, we'd all be driving 1992 Nissan Sentras or Toyota Corrollas.

If you buy a Golf GTi instead of a Golf TSi or (Polo TSi for that matter) there is a certain level of "wastage" in the purchase. The GTi is more bling, has a better 0-100, higher top speed, nicer finishes, etc., but it costs more to maintain, and lets face it. You don't really NEED that 0-100 or better top speed, now do you?

Ignore what people on here say about small totties etc. If you can afford the S-Works and don't mind paying extra, then do so by all means. You won't necessarily have faster or better performances as you will probably hit your limits before either bike hits its limits.

*Disclaimer*

I ride a 2013 Stumpy Expert, and upgraded the rims to Carbon rims after I kept on breaking spokes on my Roval alu rims. Apart from replacing worn out components the rest of the bike is still per original spec.

my view...

Buy an expert, take that R40k and buy a power meter, top end garmin, better wheels, training peaks subscription, swift subscription, kickr and whatever other goodies that are cool out there.

never a gadget guy before, but a power meter, kickr and garmin has changed my life a lot more in terms of enjoyment and motivation than a 500g saving on a frame and shiny brake levers ever will.

I like the way you think...

Just buy the S-Works ... you know you want 2

I definitely want to... It's just that the financial manager (a.k.a. my lovely wife) doesn't quite see it that way! She is super happy on her R10k GT Zaskar.

Whaaaat!!?? No one told me this! I thought that was just for ROAD S-Works models? :w00t: