Oval Chainring advise

Face Plant

Hi Guys

hope someone can give me some advise, I have a Merida Ninety-Six Team addition running XX1 Eagle, I would like to put an oval 36T chain ring in front but I have been told that the 36T oval doesn't fit on the bike, can anybody perhaps confirm this and maybe explain why?

thanks

Hi Guys

hope someone can give me some advise, I have a Merida Ninety-Six Team addition running XX1 Eagle, I would like to put an oval 36T chain ring in front but I have been told that the 36T oval doesn't fit on the bike, can anybody perhaps confirm this and maybe explain why?

thanks

Hi Face Plant,

It could be that the frame has a 36t largest chainring clearance limit. A 36 oval varies between 34t and 38t in size and might contact the chainstays. 

See if you can do a test fit, it might clear the chainstays.

Edited by Kiwi

Hi Guys

thanks

the 36 on it's long axis is bigger than 36, closer to the diameter of a 38 so it may very well eat into your chainstay...

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys

thanks

Hi there, did you ever manage to find the solution here or go with the 34t? I'm sitting with the same problem it is literally 2mm that it's touching the stays:( I've outgrown the 34t but would prefer the oval to a 36t round if possible.

Have anyone tried this?

I knew someone with a setup like this

Just replaced the front crank with a shimano 2x one and added the shifter and derailleur

Worked great

I was running 32 round x 11-42 on my prev bike and thought moving to a 10-51 12spd cassette a 36 would be better, but I ended up going for 34 oval and so far I'm happy, I'm obviously not using the 51 often, it's nice to have that "bonus" gear for when I'm really cooked.

Not sure how set your mind is for that 36, but maybe the 34 would be just fine and work better than the DIY-2x crank solution

I was running 32 round x 11-42 on my prev bike and thought moving to a 10-51 12spd cassette a 36 would be better, but I ended up going for 34 oval and so far I'm happy, I'm obviously not using the 51 often, it's nice to have that "bonus" gear for when I'm really cooked.

Not sure how set your mind is for that 36, but maybe the 34 would be just fine and work better than the DIY-2x crank solution

I was a bit skeptical in the beginning on the whole 1x thing, but I must say it work just fine, 12sp significantly better than 11sp.

Started with 11sp (36 & 11-48), I very quickly changed to 38 in front and now I'm on 12sp (38 & 10-51).

I cant spin like a bat from hell on 30, 32, 34 or even 36, how most guys do, I simply don't know.

Surely if you don't use the 51 at all it make sense to pair with a 38, that way you will make more use of the 51 and also increase your max speed on the 10 cog.  Sorry, that's just my logic and it work for me so far.

Even with a 38, I use the 51 only on very steep long tough climbs.  I didn't try oval yet, so cant offer any input on that.

Edited by Theog