Time to kick it up a level - advice?

Hi Guys

So I've been riding semi seriously for about 6 months and would like to ramp it up a bit.

I am traditionally a Surfski and Dusi etc paddler and love some trail running too.

Getting hooked on the MTB vibe and I'd like to target a race (maybe Saphire Berg 100 as a main goal) to train hard for.

I'm currently trying to ride once or twice a week on Durban beachfront doing a shorter (30km ish) hard tempo type ride and then a shorter (20-30km) hilly ride incorporating some technical ish (for Durban) riding normally in Glenwood or similar.

Then most weekends is a 50-90km ride with a mix of tar, dirt road and singletrack between Durban and Ballito or around Karkloof / Dargle.

Would like to still paddle twice a week or so and try to fit in at least one run too.

Am I riding enough or should I be doing a few extra sessions too? What am I missing - hill repeat session?

Riding on the M4 etc isn't an option - I'm not keen to get mowed down sorry!

Do I need to just increase mileage of the long rides or am I lacking another few quality sessions a week.

Thanks for any advice - I'm keen to train hard and see how far I can take this new endeavour.

Maybe try some high intensity interval training or power based training.

Also have you considered adventure racing...

Like Cadence etc? Definitely seems valuable just need to get some moola!

You can utilize the wattbikes at gym and put together interval sessions, when you there you can also add some strength work to improve running paddling and cycling. The go smash it on weekends, 

With cycling 3 times a week a paddle twice a week plus a run be carefull that you are not doing too much.  A good coach will help you to schedule your training with enough rest time as well.

Main question: what is the end goal? What type of races (excl. Safire). Aere you looking at doing Epic (or similar) at some stage?

Then other questions become clearer in terms of training, types of rides, surface and kit.

Good luck

I'm going to re ask what Dave asked.... Have you looked at Adventure racing?

You have all the basic skills it seems....

Main question: what is the end goal? What type of races (excl. Safire). Aere you looking at doing Epic (or similar) at some stage?

Then other questions become clearer in terms of training, types of rides, surface and kit.

Good luck

Hopefully getting into some stage races but I'm enjoying the one day ones too - Epic would be a dream for one day but for now focusing on say 60km and upward one day events. Quite like to idea of some mini Munga type events up to say 300km!

Hopefully getting into some stage races but I'm enjoying the one day ones too - Epic would be a dream for one day but for now focusing on say 60km and upward one day events. Quite like to idea of some mini Munga type events up to say 300km!

My 50 cents...(for what it's worth, i.e. not much)

I have spent the last 7 weeks building base by doing 1 hour sessions 4-5 times a week in Zone 2. Now I am beginning to ramp it up with intervals and some hectic spinning sessions at the gym virtual-cycle. I am aiming for endurance at Karoo to Coast. On Saturday past, I noted that I have the legs for distance, but now I need to get the hills dialed in. I have a coach who has been giving me some very good advice, and it works for me.

As for munga-type, perhaps you should look at the 36One or Trans-Bav? They are sure to get your active juices pumping.

Edited by Robbie Stewart