Trail running to help with fitness when time is limited

Theunissa

it was. but people suffered in that sand. they had about 100m of very thick sand around the first corner and just after that the two biggest climbs. 10k in it felt like ive done 40

Hectic.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good shoe fitters/ setup people in pta area?

The only guys are Runaway sport in Lynnwood. Google will tell you more

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

on a side note, remember you can leave a set of running kit in your car all the time and sneak runs in left right and center, but to leave a bike in your car all the time is a lot more challenging...

on a side note, remember you can leave a set of running kit in your car all the time and sneak runs in left right and center, but to leave a bike in your car all the time is a lot more challenging...

Used to do that with a body board and a wetsuit and sneek in a session at least once a day

Nice thing about running is it takes just a few minutes to kit up and head out of the door, great in winter when you only have 30 mins of light left when you get home from work....

That and you don't have to clean a bike when you get back and worry about maintenance.

That and you don't have to clean a bike when you get back and worry about maintenance.

Dont you wash your shoes?

first rule of running:  walk before you run

second rule of running:  plan your training program and then half the distances (slower is better)

third rule of running: go far then go fast

fourth rule of running: shoes are the foundation.  If you get ITB then your shoes are shot.  Log your shoes km's.  At 400km assess the shoes.

fifth rule of running:  Rest and recover.  Listen to your body.  Injuries and over-training are ALWAYS around the corner.

Some great advice, like he said listen to your body. I cant stress this enough, when you start feeling pain in your knees, you really need to rest until the pain goes away.

I overdid it when I started by running 17 days straight without taking rest days in between. My knees started hurting badly, I then walked for two weeks until they were healed. 

I also combine running and cycling, running 5k on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and cycling in between. I rest on Sunday. I've been at it for two months now and my pace has increased from 7:30/km to 6:00/km. Aiming for 5:00/km  :o

I also went to Runaway sport to get properly fitted and it made a world of difference, no knee pain anymore  :D

Edited by ChristoKruger

Dont you wash your shoes?

I run on the road , wipe them down with a damp cloth when needed.

You can't fake running.

That's the thing.

It's effort from the first step and it ramps up the instant the gradient goes up or you increase the pace. And you can't freewheel down the hills...

As much as I love cycling, I know that I can fake a ride quite easily. Especially on the road.

Running keeps me honest about my fitness.

I also find that running gives me far more of a mind/body dialogue. I think it's the fact that your entire body is engaged. It's a reflection on my running fitness that I'm very seldom able to 'bliss out' while on a run.

Given the whole bone density issue, if cycling is your only form of exercise, I'd say you're foolish not to add in some running. Even just 5 km once or twice a week.

Just got home from the Ngoje trail run. Wow. Just wow. If you get a chance to run this then do.

I did the 22k. It was wonderful.

I have worked out a basic 8 week plan. Will see how i do after this. Want to increase my place im the next trailseeker from 445 to 345. Lets see how it goes.

8 week workout.pdf

Edited by Theunissa