Trail running to help with fitness when time is limited

Theunissa

Good day all. I started running (7:29/km moving time) i only do about 10-15 min with warm up (4min) included. I want to increase it to 20-30 min eventually. Im trying ro do this as an alternative to go cycling for 45-60 min during the week. I try to do this twice. Mostly only once. On weekends i do 2-3hrs in the saddle with my dad. Will this help my fitness and endurance

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day all. I started running (7:29/km moving time) i only do about 10-15 min with warm up (4min) included. I want to increase it to 20-30 min eventually. Im trying ro do this as an alternative to go cycling for 45-60 min during the week. I try to do this twice. Mostly only once. On weekends i do 2-3hrs in the saddle with my dad. Will this help my fitness and endurance

That's a good sensible start to running. With increased pace over time (don't be in any hurry, running takes time to develop) your 30mins will definitely supplement your cycling. Cross-training also has huge benefits for strengthening other muscles other than those you are using.

Twice a week should be good for the next few months to allow your legs, lungs and body to get used to running. You're on the right track buddy!  

Running is great for training when time is short.

I find my heartrate when cycling is not as high as when running.

Far easier to find 20-40mins for a 5-10km run than to find an hour and a half for a proper cycle...

Ease into it otherwise you will end up with injuries.

When I started cycling there was little improvement for close to six months, I then decided to do some short runs of 4-6km and my speed short up within a month. Running helps with cycling but cycling doesn't help with running.

Ease into it otherwise you will end up with injuries.

This is the most critical advise regarding running. You have to built up very gradually to avoid injuries. Cycling fitness means bugger-all for running, it just gives you the illusion that you're fit and you can just hit the pavement. Resist that temptation.

I would get running fit - build up to about 10k fitness - before hitting trails. Trail running is a completely different beast and if you can't run consistently, you're looking for trouble. (Unless of course you run flat trails and not mountains.) 

Use something like parkrun for motivation and getting into it. Again - take it easy initially. Don't just go klap the 5k just because everybody else does it! 

Given that you don't injure yourself by starting to hard, it does help with fitness. If nothing else, a 30min run will anyways do more good than to sitting on the couch. And that was the space where I started running from...

Just beware - it's a bug that bites.  :ph34r:  I've heard...  :whistling: 

Good advice this, clearly I overdid it. Started running too just recently for some cross training but launched into between 7km and 11km cos I see so many others doing it.

Wasnt really enjoying it cos everything just hurt!! Definitely gonna back off on the distance and run easy....

OP, I think you on the right track and the fitness gains will be good.

Some really good advice given here. I have always run to supplement cycling and find it a huge help for my overall fitness but as pointed out by others take it easy in the beginning to avoid injuries. 

Might help with endurance. Useless for anything cycling related

How so?

I find the total opposite. I find that running supplements my cycling beautifully. 

It won't aid leg speed or MTB skills, but it certainly helps in the general, overall ability to perform. 

I stopped cycling obsessively and began running 4 times a week (trail and road) and I can still get on my bike twice a week and 'keep up'. Mixing up the race calendar is rad... Recently did the Bastille day 50km trail run race and had an absolute ball.

OP, yes. Watch out for ITB and soreness on the tops of your shins. That is a sign of overdoing it. Otherwise build slowly and try not to get hooked on trail running and forget about your fiets!

first rule of running:  walk before you run

second rule of running:  plan your training program and then half the distances (slower is better)

third rule of running: go far then go fast

fourth rule of running: shoes are the foundation.  If you get ITB then your shoes are shot.  Log your shoes km's.  At 400km assess the shoes.

fifth rule of running:  Rest and recover.  Listen to your body.  Injuries and over-training are ALWAYS around the corner.

How so?

I find the total opposite. I find that running supplements my cycling beautifully. 

It won't aid leg speed or MTB skills, but it certainly helps in the general, overall ability to perform. 

I stopped cycling obsessively and began running 4 times a week (trail and road) and I can still get on my bike twice a week and 'keep up'. Mixing up the race calendar is rad... Recently did the Bastille day 50km trail run race and had an absolute ball.

OP, yes. Watch out for ITB and soreness on the tops of your shins. That is a sign of overdoing it. Otherwise build slowly and try not to get hooked on trail running and forget about your fiets!

That  :thumbup:  I agree with.

How so?

I found it just tires my legs. Note that I am a complete running noob, so it might just be my body still adapting...

I found it just tires my legs. Note that I am a complete running noob, so it might just be my body still adapting...

Give yourself at least ten weeks of light training BEFORE increasing any distances or doing any speed work.  The body needs to build bone density.  before the tenth week your fitness outstrips your bone density and then you push and get injured.  Slowly does it.