[Event] Funky Fynbos MTB Or Trail Run Or DUO

Naomi4

Event Name: Funky Fynbos MTB Or Trail Run Or DUO
When: 23 September 2017 - 26 September 2017
Where: Lomond Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Enjoy the Heritage long weekend at the East Coast with a Mountain Bike on the Saturday or Trail Run on the Sunday or be an Yster and do BOTH!!

MTB

Saturday 23 September

50km / 27km / 17km

Trail Run

Sunday 24 September

30km / 12km / 6km

Yster DUO

Saturday 23 September & Sunday 24 September

50km MTB & 30km Trail Run

27km MTB & 12km Trail Run

17km MTB & 6km Trail Run

For more information visit our website or the online entries site.

https://www.funkyfynbos.co.za/

https://www.entrynin...s-mtb-trail-run

Go to Event Page

hubevents-17619-0-20972400-1501072501_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I might be a little biased - but this is one of the better all mountain rides you can do.

The climbs are proper climbs, and the downs are proper downs.

The views are incredible - mountains, valleys and beautiful vistas over Walker Bay.

The route has had some tweaks, and it looks like this will be the route we finally settle on.  Last year many said the 60km (long route) was too long, and the some said the year before 45km (then the long route) too short. 

So this year the distance is 47km with about 1500m of climbing.  There are no real flat sections - you either go up or you go down.  It is in the mountains after all.  Your fitness and your skill levels will be tested.  If you want to know how well you ride your bike - this is a ride yo must do.

We are busy building some new single track - and we are sure it will leave a lasting impression on you as you drop to the finish at Lomond Wine Estate.  We are hoping it is going to be one of those sections you want to do over and over again. 

So some highlights of the long route:

The iconic 215 climb to the tower is still there - the views unchanged.

The downhill from there is as exhilarating as ever!

The dam waterpoint will be as awesome as always, but from here things change a little - a long fast downhill that will result in some technical climbing and new chicane like single track as reward.

The Helderfontein climb will be brutal - but once you reach Grootbos we do not take you down again, instead you ride below the ridgeline enjoying the views over Walker Bay and Hermanus.

The drop down to Flowervalley and it's single track is still as exciting as ever, but now you have to climb a little ridge again to reach Lomond and our little surprise!  To be enjoyed!

If the 50km mtb route is more or less the same route as The Great White mtb race held at Lomond farms, then it's quite a tough ride. The downs are incredibly fast and you spend the rest of your ride counting the minutes going up hill after hill.

I'm not the fittest rider, but that race broke me over easter weekend.

I will be back though for more punishment ;)

The views are spectacular!!

Yes it is similar, but the small changes are quite big in effect. 

The reasoning behind some of the changes mentioned above are:

If you followed the old route from the dam at the first waterpoint you will miss some of the new single track cut for the Klipspringer.  The long downhill from the dam is fun, allows us to split the routes and gives us a technical climb to the new single track.

The district road has been cut out because we can no longer cross one of the farms on the return route,  instead you start climbing pretty much straight away to Grootbos.  The single track you will be missing out we are adding at the end, and I really think the changes are :)

If all the track building goes according to schedule we will hopefully make the Helderfontein climb a bit easier - but if not just walk it - the rewards are worth it!

I did the klipspringer mtb trail (Farm 215) over the weekend. awesome views, not many flat roads!

I'm a local boytjie to these trails and all i can say is prepare yourselves for the Helderfontein climb... it's brutal, it's long, it's steep.... but man are the views from the top worth every suffering breath up there.

The guys behind the scenes have really done some incredible work on the trails and we as local guys have also chipped in to make the riding as enjoyable for everyone as possible. So bring the family and come and enjoy the day out... That cold beer at the end will be well worth it.

My only gripe with this event, its on the same weekend as the K2C.

Hi, this is all good. It shouldn't be a grip, sometimes it is difficult to find a space in a calendar to slot in a race. Other times you just need to pick one . The 2 races are like chalk and cheese in many respects. Best is to make a plan and come and do the race.  

Was riding this last year. A proper race. Do not underestimate it. One of the better ones in WC

I cant wait for this event! have booked my accommodation already. 

I am in for the 50km mtb and the 30km trail run. 

Then a little bit of fishing Saterday afternoon as well!

I cant wait for this event! have booked my accommodation already. 

I am in for the 50km mtb and the 30km trail run. 

Then a little bit of fishing Saterday afternoon as well!

Hi, Looking forward to you rideing again. There is a new "no pedal" needed ending to the Red & Black with purpose build single track carving down the last km's. The event is also sending results to  SASEEDING web page at https://goo.gl/U1fW52 . Should make for fun all around. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Was riding the track on Sunday and must say the new additions on the last section to Lomond is really nice. It makes you forget completely what you have endured up to there and just want to go again. Few jumps and fast turns. Big hand to the guys for their iniciative and hard work. So now we need to support them and go and ride the Funky Fynbos for even more improvements for the future.

Thought I would wet your appetites for some proper mtb rides!  Quite a few coming up..... Piketberg, Esel  and the Funky......

The Klipspringer trail forms part of the Funky Festival, but almost half of the route are on trails only accessible on race day.

post-16484-0-90852300-1504814083_thumb.jpg