Epic 2009 Route

xak1

Heard some rumors that Epic 2009 route could be dramatically different, with a start and finish in Cape Town, and using overnight stops on more than one night.  In essence it will become a out-and-back from Cape Town.  In my view this will not be the same, as this will mean that the long dry Karoo climbs will not be in.  I think a point-to-point does bring something more to a race, so I hope they realise that changing the label, could mean the ultimate demise of such a race - remember when SAB changed the lable on Castle about 15 years ago - the brand went from 70% market share to 15% virtually overnight, and it has never regained its dominance.  Maybe we should run a poll on this and hope Grandstand Management reads the hub, as I personally think a change from existing format will make it a lesser race than it currently is.

they also screwed up big time when killed off lion lager and brought it back as "lion less bitter lager" a coupla years later.

agree that the out and back would take something away from teh race.

yeah, it does - it's less of a journey if it's a circuit... if that makes sense?

With a pt to pt, it's like you're actually GOING somewhere... hence the challenge to get there first & enjoy the feeling of actually going from place to place. It'd be like cycling the distance from JHB to CT, while on a track...

I disagree. You could have some epic riding in an out and back ride from C.T you could take in the Karoo, from Stellenbosch or Franschoek you could get to De Doors in a day and then you are into the Karoo the next day. Think of all the other great areas that become accessible like the Cederberg and Even some CT riding like Table Mountain / Tokai. Such a revised route Centred on CT may be a even bigger international drawcard.

The overnight stops on more than one night are for the TT which will probably be mid race, I think that this is not a great idea, TT should be a prologue like this year - to decide seeding. Or perhaps a last stage.

I disagree. You could have some epic riding in an out and back ride from C.T you could take in the Karoo' date=' from Stellenbosch or Franschoek you could get to De Doors in a day and then you are into the Karoo the next day. Think of all the other great areas that become accessible like the Cederberg and Even some CT riding like Table Mountain / Tokai. Such a revised route Centred on CT may be a even bigger international drawcard.

The overnight stops on more than one night are for the TT which will probably be mid race, I think that this is not a great idea, TT should be a prologue like this year - to decide seeding. Or perhaps a last stage.
[/quote']

makybe make another race? like a mtb giro del capo?

Newest news letter confirms major changes in the pipeline - looks like they are already making excuses for what they will come up with.

20080528_035943_Noname.jpg

No, to my knowledge the Epic will still start in Knysna, will still be the "new" 9days event, but only move the TT to day 5 in the race.

That means you will sleep day 4 and 5 in the same town.

One other change they are discussing is Christoff Sausers suggestion to scrap the "team" concept because for the last 2 years his partners could not keep up with him.

Oh, and we all told you before the Epic that Burry was to young to ride with Christoff and will not make it at that type of racing. And it proofs to be true.

Burry is a worldclass MTB'er , but you can not expect him to go with Sausser in a nineday race like this.

Sauser wants to win the Epic, only problem at this stage is , he cannot find a partner thats good enough to keep up with him for 9 days.

For the last 2 years he lost his partners early in the racepopeye2008-05-29 23:26:29

Hmmmmm. Not much of a team player? Does the whole format have to change for one guy?

Have entered the lottery and would be very disappointed if it hanges from the regular format.

9 days in Cape Town is a bit much for me.Wink

Jip, agree. It will loose the magic. All capetonians cycle all the route during the year around here. Dont want to do it for 9days in a row.

Kevin knows he got a winning foprmula, why will he change?

Just so that someone else starts after him with a "new" something from Knysna.

Will not happened. Kevin will stick to the Knysna start and make sure no one else can duplicate this race.

We can start a new Epic in Gauteng!

We can call it the Gansta'a Paradise Extreme!

Stage 1: Braamfontein Spruit

Stage 2: Northern Farm

Stage 3: Rietvlei.....................

Tented camp has already been set up at Diepsloot. Sorted!LOL

You must remember what HIGH PROFILE sausser have in the Epic.

I the beginning he was the highest profile PRO that stuck to the epic. Many still believes thats because of him that so many top pro's now queing up to ride in the epic.

Sausser got a big influence in the Epic as he gave a lot of idee's and input in the beginning in "how to make this a world class event" and also how to ensure that the top pro's wants to come to the epic.

Definitely not trying to take it away from the guy but dont forget that it is also the rest of the field that make it as well. He is brilliant but so is the guy who sweats blood and tears and comes last.

From what I have gathered, the Cederberg is a three day 'epic' out and back to camp each day,,,, not the 2009 Epic.

Registration opens in August.

We can start a new Epic in Gauteng!

We can call it the Gansta'a Paradise Extreme!

Stage 1: Braamfontein Spruit

Stage 2: Northern Farm

Stage 3: Rietvlei.....................

Tented camp has already been set up at Diepsloot. Sorted!LOL

Good idea, just worried about setting up camp in Diepsloot, with Xenophobia the foreigners that enter the race could have a hard time.Ouch

I disagree. You could have some epic riding in an out and back ride from C.T you could take in the Karoo' date=' from Stellenbosch or Franschoek you could get to De Doors in a day and then you are into the Karoo the next day. Think of all the other great areas that become accessible like the Cederberg and Even some CT riding like Table Mountain / Tokai. Such a revised route Centred on CT may be a even bigger international drawcard.

[/quote']

makybe make another race? like a mtb giro del capo?

That would be a nice race and draw international attention