Road Bike for big guy

Slabeye

Hey guys

I am 6'6" tall, 125kg, and I need to buy a road bike as I am too frustrated dragging my mountain bike up the hills on the road when I want to do that. 

Please guide me on:

Can I buy a cheaper bike: Fuji, Titan?

Do I have to worry about the components, it was a huge consideration when buying my Mtb?

Tyres, 28C or 32C?

Saddle?

Surely anything is faster on the road than the Mtb, but my weight is an issue?

I don't want to spend more than R10,000.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most alu frames should be fine, check the wheel weight capacity. 

Gears, if you are not racing should not be a problem. I might get shot for saying it, but for "fun riding" get sora. Pretty much bom proof and cheap as tjips. 

The Titan with the new Tiagra groupset is a good buy and will be fine for your intended use. The shifting is pretty good and the rest of the components are quality and only slightly heavier than 105. The weight difference will not be an issue really as you are not a small guy.  :)

I'm 85kg and ride with 25c tyres. I don't see any reason to go bigger than 28. Just make sure that the frame can take 28 wide tyres. 

Wishing you all the best with whatever bike you decide on. Enjoy !

The only Alu frame for a guy your height and weight is a Cannondale, don't even look any further.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/260210-cannondale-caad-5-brand-new/

Try this out. May be a little big, depending on your inseam measurment. 

But this is something you should be looking at.

Otherwise the other option is a "Classic" steel frame.

Depends on what type of riding you want to do of course.

Edited by quintonb

Cycle Lab has the Merida scultura 300 on special for R10 999.98 and it has the Tiagra groupset which is one up on the Sora/Claris of the Titan.

As for tyres you would have to check the clearance yourself or at the shop but 28c should be ok. 

30 might work at a push but you would have to test it. Maybe get a shop to test with spare tyres if they have.

Keen to hear what you decide to go with and why  :D

....and then once you have ridden it a few times come back and give us some further feedback  :P

Edited by Mr lee

Cheapest and best option

Buy a set of slicks for your mtb - a world of difference.

Agree, also try and loose some of the baby fat, at your budget your going to end up replacing a lot of your bike components and you will end up hating your ride even more....