1X12 with XT crank?

wapad

Can you upgrade to 1X12 using an XT crank, I would think you could maybe you just have to change the front chain ring.

currently full XT 2X11. 11-40

any idea of weight drop if any, I would have to do that XD thing on the rear hub. AC wide wheels

info appreciated.

Any NW chainring will work with Eagle, but I suspect your chainline will a out a bit. Don't really think you're gonna drop much weight though, as you're replacing a smaller chainring with a mahoosive 50tooth sprocket in the back, and a shifter and Fd doesn't weigh much anyway

You can get NW rings for 104BCD and the new Shimano offset BCD, so you'll be fine on the existing crank. As mentioned above you may need to space the new 1x chainring to achieve correct chainline though.

Someone else will have to chip in on the weight saving bit, though I don't think it'll be massive. The benefit is more to do with simplicity IMHO.

Edited by droo

Not sure on weight saving with changing to Eagle, but when I went 1x I weighed the parts that I took off (shifter, cables, FD & superfluous chainring) and it came to 500g.  Not insignificant!  

Can you upgrade to 1X12 using an XT crank, I would think you could maybe you just have to change the front chain ring.

currently full XT 2X11. 11-40

any idea of weight drop if any, I would have to do that XD thing on the rear hub. AC wide wheels

info appreciated.

Go with a 34 NW chainring in front and get a 11 speed 11 x 46 cassette .Sunrace or Box [ same thing ] have the better ratio .You can also get a 11 x 50 Sunrace . Use a spacer to get a better chainline on the crank .Don,t bother with eagle 

Go with a 34 NW chainring in front and get a 11 speed 11 x 46 cassette .Sunrace or Box [ same thing ] have the better ratio .You can also get a 11 x 50 Sunrace . Use a spacer to get a better chainline on the crank .Don,t bother with eagle 

GX Eagle will beat the performance of a 50T Sunrace cassette / XT RD combo with a stick. And Eagle has 500% range over the Sunrace 450% because of the 10T.

I recently upgraded from 3x9 to 1x11 with the aim of saving space and reducing complexity on my bars while also giving my granny gear the bump it needs to get me to the top of the mountain without suffering a heart attack, and in that regard it worked beautifully. I did so by just throwing a N/W chainring onto my existing 104 BCD Shimano crank and fitting the new cassette, derailleur and those things. As for the weight saving, I suppose if you really maximize on stuff like making use of i-spec mounts fitting high-end weight-conscious hardware, you might save a considerable amount but unless you're upgrading from a solid stainless steel Alivio cassette to a XX1 Eagle, actual savings will be in the realm of grams which, unless you're going for gold with weight as the sole identified parameter keeping your from achieving it, is not much in MTB terms.

With that being said, be sure to consider the size of your chainring carefully based on the type of riding you'll be doing most. For instance, seeing as I like Enduro style riding, I went for the smallest possible chainring seeing as I prefer ease of climbing over high-end/speed ratios. As for your chain line, if you use your existing long chainring bolts instead of the short ones usually sold for 1x conversions, you can throw some chainring spacers on there to get that chain line a bit better. Rapide sells those for next to nothing.

Good luck with your conversion! Remember to report back!

One of the advantages of Eagle over the other offerings apart from the 10 small and 50 large is that being a 12 speed you have a better spread of gears with smaller jumps between gears.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently converted to 1x12 GX and kept my XT cranks. All working great. Went the "standard" 34 chainring with 10-50 cassette. Haven't missed the granny but I'm spinning out earlier than my previous 2X10. When I'm big and strong I'll get a 36....