MTB Frame warrantee

Mook

I need to use Hubland as a sound board.

I cracked a 3 year old carbon HT frame which i purchased new. Not to be bias, I will not mention the make and model, or the agent and local bike shop.

I will call this frame A.

Frame A is still under warrantee.

Long story short and many weeks later, the manufacturer declined the warrantee, claiming the chain got tangled up around the derailer hanger, causing the damage. Which off coarse is total nonsense. 

This was only communicated verbally through the local bike shop.

The importer/Agent said they will take it on the chin, and supply me with a new frame from a different manufacturer. So frame B arrives which I'm very grateful for!

But there is one problem with Frame B, it uses so many propriety parts, I need to sell a kidney to fund all the parts required to have a functional bike again.

So here is my question, can we as customers insist on official written feedback from the manufacturer/supplier stating the cause of damage and the reason why the claim is rejected.

Some general info to take into consideration.

My weight is 92kg

Mileage on the frame approx. 11,000km of which 80% was on tar, some general off road riding and some marathon races. No funny jumps and tricks that could have resulted me ending up in ICU or on Tiktok

I run a 1 x 11 setup

I will post some photos in my next post

My popcorn is ready!

Post a little wider photo showing the derailleur etc. 

I spot some marks that could be dirt or damage. Hard to tell. 

But there is one problem with Frame B, it uses so many propriety parts, I need to sell a kidney to fund all the parts required to have a functional bike again.

I had the same issue when I got a warranty replacement frame - it needed a new rear shock, new wheels (or hub adapters), new seat post, new rear thru axle and some other bits and pieces.  I was a bit pissed off with having to get all of these pieces as they only cover the frame and nothing else to go with it, but I guess I ended up with a 'new' bike at the end of it so even though it was a costly affair I was still happy in the end.  

Some more info

I had a certain branded frame break twice on me....first time I had to shoulder getting the frame back to Honeydew (miles away).wait for a new frame....then pay for a new pressfit BB....reassembly etc .,...and go and pick it back up...and then got home and noticed it still wasn't right either and take it back AGAIN!

Second time it broke (lol in the same place as well!) I got hold of my insurers...I wasn't going to go through all of that shlepp and cost again...

I'm no frame expert, but surely if the chain got wrapped around the hanger there would be scratches all over the area.

The way bikes change over time, you probably would have had to fork out a small fortune on frame A anyway.

Edited by Eugene

I think its nuts that when it comes to vehicle warranties, we expect no extra costs for the manufacturer to sort out an issue. But on bikes, that now cost close to very nice brand new cars? Yeah nah, we'll graciously admit fault after much deliberation. Oh and you must pay for the repair. Oh and incidentals are for you too. Oh and we're HIGHLY unlikely to replace the replacement frame. Oh and we'll make you feel like a scumbag for even asking us to exercise that warantee we spoke so much about when selling you the bike and taking your massive amount of shekels.

Looking at the picture the bike kinda does looks like it's taken damage from the right hand side.

With the frame replacement bike manufacturers change their frame specs every 2-3 years so even if you had to get the same model from the same manufacturer it would be different. Just be greatful that during the global bicycle stock shortage they were able to make a plan. I've got a customer at the moment that has to wait till Feb for his warranty frame.

Looking at the picture the bike kinda does looks like it's taken damage from the right hand side.

With the frame replacement bike manufacturers change their frame specs every 2-3 years so even if you had to get the same model from the same manufacturer it would be different. Just be greatful that during the global bicycle stock shortage they were able to make a plan. I've got a customer at the moment that has to wait till Feb for his warranty frame.

Some companies now allow you to transfer the warranty to the 2nd owner, but it's only valid for a more limited time (e.g. 2 years) instead of lifetime.

I think its nuts that when it comes to vehicle warranties, we expect no extra costs for the manufacturer to sort out an issue. But on bikes, that now cost close to very nice brand new cars? Yeah nah, we'll graciously admit fault after much deliberation. Oh and you must pay for the repair. Oh and incidentals are for you too. Oh and we're HIGHLY unlikely to replace the replacement frame. Oh and we'll make you feel like a scumbag for even asking us to exercise that warantee we spoke so much about when selling you the bike and taking your massive amount of shekels.

I agree the warranties offered locally on bikes is shocking. They sell you a faulty product and then you are expected to cover the costs of them making good on the faulty product they sold you.