deonkretch

Another idea for something that's not a stage race.

We're a bunch of guys that go on a riding boys weekend once a year. We go to destinations like Eselfontein, Houdenbek and the last one was at Greyton. We ride, we Braai, we drink beer, we talk a lot of crap, but it's a jol from end to end.

We do similar weekends with the families, but the Manne naweke are for some reason the memorable trips.

Our club spent the weekend in a wild coast hotel. Two days riding, support at half way, food beers etc at the halfway stop, which the club paid for. And a Sat night live music for 550pps and 300 for kids dbb. That was awesome value for money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have done it (well not the whole route as it is now) even before the great route was opened and I is a way overweight weekend worrier. so yes doable in 4 days is not an issue. But yes if you want to braai and and then costs will go up and you will need backup.

We cruised with no backup and it was fine. We carried all we needed in a backpack and slept in backpackers and ate in lekker local restaurants.

I might do a reccie run over Xmas pretty much the same way, load the hardtail up with panniers and go for it.

Haha.

I hear you. But here are Duaney's Europe on a budget rules.

1. No Rental Cars. So you have to fly in to a place that is close to where you are staying. That does limit you admittedly

2. No bars (ok maybe one or 2)

3. Restaurant meals are to be kept to a minimum

4. Stay away from tourist traps

5. DON'T make the classic Saffer mistake by trying to do the whole of Europe in 2 weeks. Pick a spot. Preferably one with amazing riding. Set up camp and integrate.

The thought of sitting in a bus watching the world wizz by makes me want to chunder.

Next year the plan is to go to Girona. Fly in to Barcelona. Train to Girona and do what we did in Bassano this year and Morzine last year. Ride, Eat, Drink. And maybe some other stuff.

Ok Hijack off.

Also, don't underestimate Scottish Highlands by bike. Was there in 1993 and 94, and saw hundreds of them. Mostly Dutch and German.

Our club spent the weekend in a wild coast hotel. Two days riding, support at half way, food beers etc at the halfway stop, which the club paid for. And a Sat night live music for 550pps and 300 for kids dbb. That was awesome value for money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bargain!