deonkretch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a matter of interest, I'm putting a group together to do the 742km Cape Cross route over 8 days next year (20 of us).

I'm taking no profit, purely for friendship and enjoyment and so far it's standing at R6.70 per kilo including all transport, self catering accommodation & meals.

There are better alternatives if you're cash strapped but I agree, stage races still have their place :thumbup:

8 Days is a little to long for that route. 

3 Days if you want to k@k off proper. 

4 Days is ideal I reckon. 

it's a ride not a race. 742/4 = 185km per day. Surely you want to have some time and energy for a braai and a few beers at the end of each day?

For our group, 8 days is perfect, leaves the whole afternoon open to braai and kuier :thumbup:

But go for 4 days and let us know how that works out for you.

Edited by Buff_SA

Personal experience or just assuming that's what could happen ?

You know me better than that, I would never assume anything about ladies, not because I don't want too, just that I would most certainly be wrong.

Even posting this, from personal experience and backing it with facts, pictures and credit card slips, I would be wrong according to Mrs Patch :P

Just as a matter of interest, I'm putting a group together to do the 742km Cape Cross route over 8 days next year (20 of us).

I'm taking no profit, purely for friendship and enjoyment and so far it's standing at R6.70 per kilo including all transport, self catering accommodation & meals.

There are better alternatives if you're cash strapped but I agree, stage races still have their place :thumbup:

Im all ears, these are the types of trips that its all about. R5k for 8 nights? Thats a bargain.

Another idea for something that's not a stage race.

We're a bunch of guys that go on a riding boys weekend once a year. We go to destinations like Eselfontein, Houdenbek and the last one was at Greyton. We ride, we Braai, we drink beer, we talk a lot of crap, but it's a jol from end to end.

We do similar weekends with the families, but the Manne naweke are for some reason the memorable trips.

We're busy setting up a stage race in the Eastern Cape, all included will work out at about R6k per person, R12k per team. I presume that includes some profit, because all I've done is the route, and it has taken me a s#!t load of calls, visits, rides :clap: , and a lot of networking farmers from all over. The thing is that you won't be able to ride most of the route apart from the ride and my mates and I will ride recces. Some awesome cycling. But I also want to make some money out of it, as it def has affected my business, as of necessity, my eyes have slipped off the ball a bit.

Is R6000 too much?

Is R6000 too much?

I don't know. Guess it depends on what you get for R6k per person and the type of rider you want to attract? 

I guess it is at least in the ballpark but for R6k I would expect more than what we got than at a budget race like Lormar recently.

Another idea for something that's not a stage race.

We're a bunch of guys that go on a riding boys weekend once a year. We go to destinations like Eselfontein, Houdenbek and the last one was at Greyton. We ride, we Braai, we drink beer, we talk a lot of crap, but it's a jol from end to end.

We do similar weekends with the families, but the Manne naweke are for some reason the memorable trips.

Same here.

A "long" weekend away with riding friends and hitting different trails each day.  Interspersed with taking along the girlfriend's / wives and all is good.   Much cheaper than the races and a million times more fun.

Was going to say the same and that works out at R 3.00 per km with good food, adequate accommodation and a few drinks.

For our group, 8 days is perfect, leaves the whole afternoon open to braai and kuier :thumbup:

But go for 4 days and let us know how that works out for you.

Have done it (well not the whole route as it is now) even before the great route was opened and I is a way overweight weekend worrier. so yes doable in 4 days is not an issue. But yes if you want to braai and and then costs will go up and you will need backup.

We cruised with no backup and it was fine. We carried all we needed in a backpack and slept in backpackers and ate in lekker local restaurants.

On mu bucket list. Let me know if a spot opens up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro