A Hardtail conundrum.......

EtienneXplore

Hehehe, the most demoralising thing in the world when you get passed on the road by a local with a load like this on his single gear, no brakes, dik-wiel steel bike, wheels buckling like crazy, everything creaking, riding with flip flops, listening to a klapped out radio while talking on his cell phone...... and they are always ready for a dice!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh so many choices!!!

Are you willing to build a bike rather than going stock?

In my opinion building a bike will put you in a much better spec position.

I'll go Cotic BFE, if not Cotic then Momsen STR (there's a STR going for a good price in the classifieds).

Nice wheelset from Wheelbuilder;

Lynne Dropper post and Crankset;

Rapide cockpit;

Shimano XT brakes from CWC;

Sram GX eagle kit

A fork of your choice.

The above should put you around the R20k - R25k mark.

Unfortunately, I would have to buy stock as I only have a day to buy and get out again, so need to go to a shop, test ride a few bikes, buy and go.....

Another good option would be a Trek Stache... 

A massively capable and fun bike! 

http://flowmountainbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/LOW7201.jpg

This looks really good, but I would like to have a 2x11 set-up, not a fan of the 1x10 set-up....

This looks really good, but I would like to have a 2x11 set-up, not a fan of the 1x10 set-up....

I think a 2x option is available... check with your dealer. 

29+ is massive fun, my brother has been riding a Surly Krampus 29+ for the passed 2 and bit years. Never gets old. 

Im on 650+ and absolutely love it. 

Great for all terrain, these + tyres really eat it up!

IMO the most important feature of any MTB is the geometry itself, and my take is that almost all manufacturers are moving away from the traditional XCO race style bikes that you have listed very fast.

MTB's have become quite discipline specific and the days where you predominantly selected a bike based on the groupset and paint job it comes with are long gone.

ride a few slack geometry bikes and make up your mind.  I would personally much rather own a R15k cotic built with second hand parts than a R100k cannondale flash with the latest and greatest shiny components.  And don't forget the dropper!

IMO the most important feature of any MTB is the geometry itself, and my take is that almost all manufacturers are moving away from the traditional XCO race style bikes that you have listed very fast.

MTB's have become quite discipline specific and the days where you predominantly selected a bike based on the groupset and paint job it comes with are long gone.

ride a few slack geometry bikes and make up your mind.  I would personally much rather own a R15k cotic built with second hand parts than a R100k cannondale flash with the latest and greatest shiny components.  And don't forget the dropper!

Preach!

BAZINGA!

After riding many bikes and owning everything except for a titanium frame ,my choice would be a steel frame hard tail with a slack head angle ,34 x 11x46 group set ,XT,SLX,Guide RS brakes and a  wide rim wheel set or even 27 + wheel set with Maxxis ikon 2 x 35 3x at the back and maxxis ardent or barzo in front 

After riding many bikes and owning everything except for a titanium frame ,my choice would be a steel frame hard tail with a slack head angle ,34 x 11x46 group set ,XT,SLX,Guide RS brakes and a  wide rim wheel set or even 27 + wheel set with Maxxis ikon 2 x 35 3x at the back and maxxis ardent or barzo in front

Everything except the guides. Zambia is HOT.

Hope tech 3 e4's...

Can you do the mechanic work yourself - well I guess you will need to learn or find someone who can.

there are loads of 2x systems up for sale here, as people have moved to 1x. I know you're in a time crunch but buying one of those upfront or requesting the bikeshop to swap over for you could work.

Are there any bikeshops in lusaka?

Nope, but here is a few guys that can do services and maintenance. Most of the MTB community are expats from SA, USA and Europe and they all bring their own bikes from their countries, or they go down to SA to buy bikes. 

I will be in SA until early January, but will only be in Pretoria for a day or two in order to buy a bike, then I leave for the Drakensberg, Lesotho, Transkei and Eastern Cape, so I will need to have a new bike by the time I leave for the Drakensberg. 

I live here in Zambia for good, so won't be travelling so much, why would I need a stronger steel frame? I won't be hauling charcoal around like the locals, I will be riding trails, single track and dirt tracks....  :thumbup:

Reason for getting a steel frame is it can get fixed locally should you have issues - lots of people can weld steel back together. I don't know if you'll be able to do a fix on alu or carbon reliably in zam. so that also kind of counts against buying a new bike in RSA because warranty will be a major rigmarole.

I just had a look at 2nd hand bikes in that price range and there is some really awesome bikes going - much better than the new bikes you're looking at, but you don't really have the time to suss stuff out. Just these in gauteng - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/category/26-hardtail-bikes/?s=&area%5B%5D=2&price_min=16000&price_max=23000&custom-17=2&custom-2=0

Archived