[Event] Old Mutual JoBerg2c

Events Bot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! What gear ratio you're running?

Day 1-4,7 - 34Oval/16 (maybe a 17 for D4?)

Day 5,6,8,9 - 34Oval/17 (If the legs are still good)

Edited by Roneblack46

Doing my first ride this year....solo nogal.

Very excited to get going.

Anything suggestions or advice from you guys who have done this before?

How much riding kit do you need, and is there any other special tips or tricks that I need to know?

Thanks

Lighthouse, no problem in doing it Solo, there is always other riders around you.

Three kits of cycling clothing is sufficient, they do laundry every second day.

Take a spare set of cycling shoes, if you've got, in case (quite likely) that rains one or two days. (top tip, for wet shoes, stuff it full of newspaper, and place it upside down for the water to drip out)

Have a good look at the packing list, it is quite comprehensive.

They do supply a rather large (numbered) bag to put your stuff in. You must use this, as they place it out at the race village, and you need to be able to identify your bag. To get there, pack your stuff in an old bag that you would not mind dumping once you got your lovely new Joberg2C bag.

Sleeping bag, take a plastic bag with to put it in, mine got wet on Day 5 (luckily the camp was at the school, and they dried it out for me at their laundry, otherwise I would have had a wet and miserable night)

Take some wet weather riding kit with, we needed it on day 5 and 9.

It is quite nippy in the mornings, so you will at some stage need arm warmers and other base layers. Luckily they have bags at the waterpoints in which you can put your stuff once it gets warmer, you just collect it again at the race village in the evenings.

Also take some warm clothing with to wear at camp at night, as I said, it does get a bit nippy. Luckily they supply a nice beanie to keep the noggin warm.

If you did not take the Bike Mechanic package, take an extra derailer hanger, derailer (if you have) fold able spare tire of your choice, and extra slime with. There is ample mechanical assistance at the camps at night, should you need help fixing something. Obviously you should have the means to pay for it, if they have to supply and fit something.

During the stages there is mechanical assistance on the route at various spots, and the year we rode (2016) Pyga had bikes available should you pick up a mechanical during the stage, and cannot continue. They will then supply you a bike to finish the day with, you must just have your bike sorted before the next day.

If you have done any other stage races before, be prepared to be blown away by this experience. You (EVERYBODY) gets treated like VIP's, food is out of this world, both at the race village and during the stages. The various towns and communities man the water tables, and they go out of their way to outdo the next / previous table. FOOD AND DRINK TO PICK AND CHOOSE!! You will not go hungry, do not even bother to take food with to eat on the bike, it will just weigh you down.

This is truly an unbelieveable experience, even the long days are not that hard, and once you are at the camp, and you start relaxing, every bit of hardship will quickly fade away.

Wifi is available at camp, and they supply you with a mean powerbank (and facility to charge it at night) so you are sorted there also.

At camp there is an limitless supply of coffe / cappuchino (Seattle Coffe Co.), food to eat as much as you like, with a HUGE spread to choose from.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, the best 9 days I ever had on my bike. Very sad that I am missing out on it this year.

You will enjoy it.

O ja, when you get to the long floating bridge at the Lagoon / Scottsburgh, there is a sign that says "BRIDGE/NO BRIDGE". Do take the bridge turnoff, otherwise you'll end up under the overpass bridge and longingly stare at the riders crossing the floating bridge.  :whistling:  :oops:

If you then want to get onto the floating bridge, you must double back what felt like a kilometer or two to get on the floating bridge.

Lighthouse, no problem in doing it Solo, there is always other riders around you.

Three kits of cycling clothing is sufficient, they do laundry every second day.

Take a spare set of cycling shoes, if you've got, in case (quite likely) that rains one or two days. (top tip, for wet shoes, stuff it full of newspaper, and place it upside down for the water to drip out)

They do supply a rather large (numbered) bag to put your stuff in. You must use this, as they place it out at the race village, and you need to be able to identify your bag. To get there, pack your stuff in an old bag that you would not mind dumping once you got your lovely new Joberg2C bag.

Sleeping bag, take a plastic bag with to put it in, mine got wet on Day 5 (luckily the camp was at the school, and they dried it out for me at their laundry, otherwise I would have had a wet and miserable night)

It is quite nippy in the mornings, so you will at some stage need arm warmers and other base layers. Luckily they have bags at the waterpoints in which you can put your stuff once it gets warmer, you just collect it again at the race village in the evenings.

Also take some warm clothing with to wear at camp at night, as I said, it does get a bit nippy. Luckily they supply a nice beanie to keep the noggin warm.

If you did not take the Bike Mechanic package, take an extra derailer hanger, derailer (if you have) fold able spare tire of your choice, and extra slime with. There is ample mechanical assistance at the camps at night, should you need help fixing something. Obviously you should have the means to pay for it, if they have to supply and fit something.

During the stages there is mechanical assistance on the route at various spots, and the year we rode (2016) Pyga had bikes available should you pick up a mechanical during the stage, and cannot continue. They will then supply you a bike to finish the day with, you must just have your bike sorted before the next day.

If you have done any other stage races before, be prepared to be blown away by this experience. You (EVERYBODY) gets treated like VIP's, food is out of this world, both at the race village and during the stages. The various towns and communities man the water tables, and they go out of their way to outdo the next / previous table. FOOD AND DRINK TO PICK AND CHOOSE!! You will not go hungry, do not even bother to take food with to eat on the bike, it will just weigh you down.

This is truly an unbelieveable experience, even the long days are not that hard, and once you are at the camp, and you start relaxing, every bit of hardship will quickly fade away.

Wifi is available at camp, and they supply you with a mean powerbank (and facility to charge it at night) so you are sorted there also.

At camp there is an limitless supply of coffe / cappuchino (Seattle Coffe Co.), food to eat as much as you like, with a HUGE spread to choose from.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, the best 9 days I ever had on my bike. Very sad that I am missing out on it this year.

You will enjoy it.

O ja, when you get to the long floating bridge at the Lagoon / Scottsburgh, there is a sign that says "BRIDGE/NO BRIDGE". Do take the bridge turnoff, otherwise you'll end up under the overpass bridge and longingly stare at the riders crossing the floating bridge.  :whistling:  :oops:

If you then want to get onto the floating bridge, you must double back what felt like a kilometer or two to get on the floating bridge.

Cheers for this info. Very helpful and I am really excited to finally do this!

Three kits of cycling clothing is sufficient, they do laundry every second day. They only are having two wash days this year - I think number 1-175 A/B only on day 3 to collect on day 4, numbers 176-475 A/B on day 4 to collect day 5. So if you are number 176 + you may need 5 sets unless you wash kit yourself on one of the earlier days.

They do supply a rather large (numbered) bag to put your stuff in. You must use this, as they place it out at the race village, and you need to be able to identify your bag. To get there, pack your stuff in an old bag that you would not mind dumping once you got your lovely new Joberg2C bag. You should be able to collect your bag at registration the day before. We did last year.

If you did not take the Bike Mechanic package, take an extra derailer hanger, derailer (if you have) fold able spare tire of your choice, and extra slime with. There is ample mechanical assistance at the camps at night, should you need help fixing something. Obviously you should have the means to pay for it, if they have to supply and fit something. Booked packages get preference so if not booked your bike goes into the queue and they get to it once they have finished the others. If they have a stand available they are helpful in you doing your own maintenance on the side. Maybe just buy the guys some beers or cold drinks as a thank you.

You will enjoy it.

Just some changes from last year and latest correspondence received...

^^^^This amplified...

Dont over think it at all.

Its simple...

Youre going camping but your tent and bed is there, take a sheet and a pillow.

Pack kit that you would wear as if you were doing a normal marathon race, just a few extra.

Take a few spares if you have proprietary parts on your bike.

Put your suppliments into little bags X9 into a small cooler bag.

Then, Either get them to do your laundry or do it yourself.

Ride your bike for 9 days.

Quite remote, but there is always that possibility that you are on your own and miss a turn.

Better safe than sorry, 'cause there is some really remote sections, you might loose yourself there.

Quite remote, but there is always that possibility that you are on your own and miss a turn.

Better safe than sorry, 'cause there is some really remote sections, you might loose yourself there.

Thanks Wannabe, hope all comes together during the ride  :D 

This time next week and we will be either freezing our asses off or boiling in the heat.

This time next week and we will be either freezing our asses off or boiling in the heat.

Heidelberg - 9/22 Partly cloudy to sunny - looking good so far for a nice country ride...