Jonkershoek - help please

DanielJhb

Planning on riding at Jonkershoek tomorrow morning for the first time. Does anyone have a decent gpx file for me for a 20-30km ride? Will have my better half with me so trying to keep it to a 90mins-2hr ride if possible. Any recommendations of trials/sections to hit there (+/-blue level)? Is it well sign-posted? Thanks in advance!

It's not extremely well marked, but it is quite intuitive once you get in there. I would suggest going up on the left side of the mountain first - there is a road directly to your left after you enter the maingate - just go up and up and up... You will see some blue, red and black options to go down - just enjoy! 

Luckily you can't really get lost in Jonkers because there are two slopes, and to get back to the start you just head down till you hit the 10km circle route the cars use, which takes you back to the start.

Jonkers is unfortunately one of those places you need to visit a few times to get a feel for it. 

If you really want a gpx file, just do a search on Strava for Jonkers and look for a file that matches your distance criteria. Luckily the start of single track sections are well marked blue, red, or black, so you won't accidentally find yourself on a route above your skill level.

in this order

rooikat - red

red phoenix - red

fire hut - red

lotsa jumps and features that are not compulsory

Can't help with gpx files, but attached is a map I made based on my limited time at Jonkers, the iRide map and Google Earth, so can't guarantee accuracy 

The fire roads are marked in yellow, circular loop/road in green, and the trails in blue, red and black according to their rating. 

I know there have been some new trails opened recently which I have not marked on the map yet.

Jonkershoek Trails - Updated Oct 2017.pdf

It's not extremely well marked, but it is quite intuitive once you get in there. I would suggest going up on the left side of the mountain first - there is a road directly to your left after you enter the maingate - just go up and up and up... You will see some blue, red and black options to go down - just enjoy! 

Luckily you can't really get lost in Jonkers because there are two slopes, and to get back to the start you just head down till you hit the 10km circle route the cars use, which takes you back to the start.

Jonkers is unfortunately one of those places you need to visit a few times to get a feel for it. 

If you really want a gpx file, just do a search on Strava for Jonkers and look for a file that matches your distance criteria. Luckily the start of single track sections are well marked blue, red, or black, so you won't accidentally find yourself on a route above your skill level.

If you do have the better half with you (assuming that she is not more hardcore than you), I would recommend going left (as suggested above) 20 meters after the gate, go around the no-entry gate (that is cars), then climb for a few hundred meters and then turn left again onto a flat jeep track / forest road and then follow your nose down there. I have attached the map above with a route drawn in yellow that allows you to do your first climb up through the plantations in the shade, some okay single track (not to hectic) and then up the other side. The climb in the the sun up the other side can get nice and hot so don't start too late. This route is about 2 hours if you are not fit.

post-32491-0-49489800-1510905059_thumb.jpg

Archived