Lesotho looks like the new place to be...

Headshot

The riding in Lesotho looks fantastic. I have hiked around the Drakensberg quite a bit (back in the day before MTB) and the topography is very familiar. None of that pesky fynbos and plenty of animal trails to navigate. Pity its 1500km from CT...

That looks sick. Nice and raw. Did some inquiries a while back for a trip out there. There's an outfit that can do helibiking too. Possibly the same dudes.

I know I'm going to get slated for this but. I have been to Afriski and didn't enjoy it at all. Getting there & back was amazing but I didn't enjoy Afriski. Sorry. (Runs for cover). I think for the JHB dudes it must be amazing.

The riding in Lesotho looks fantastic. I have hiked around the Drakensberg quite a bit (back in the day before MTB) and the topography is very familiar. None of that pesky fynbos and plenty of animal trails to navigate. Pity its 1500km from CT...

Hey thanks for the share.

if you have the opportunity to ride that side, you shouldn't give it a second thought. Trails that we rode were next level, extremely raw and natural untouched by human builders putting their signature marks on the land. Trail builders there are the weather and the animals.

I would class this trip as a kind of adventure enduro racing(the timed stages we had) the start and the finish points are the same for everyone but how you get there is up to you, it could go bad for you or not. Pretty much luck of the draw as a lot of the riding was blind. It was a very refreshing experience not being restricted to riding a specific course. 

It's totally worth the 1500Km journey. So much so that I was going to go to Lesotho again this month, if I hadn't have recently crashed pretty bad.

That looks sick. Nice and raw. Did some inquiries a while back for a trip out there. There's an outfit that can do helibiking too. Possibly the same dudes.

I know I'm going to get slated for this but. I have been to Afriski and didn't enjoy it at all. Getting there & back was amazing but I didn't enjoy Afriski. Sorry. (Runs for cover). I think for the JHB dudes it must be amazing.

Never been to Afriski but I may do the Crank Chaos thing next year, if I am not abroad. I heard it's really good there now with a fair amount of new trails they have been building. 

Never been to Afriski but I may do the Crank Chaos thing next year, if I am not abroad. I heard it's really good there now with a fair amount of new trails they have been building. 

Nice riding there Wayne. Looks awesome. If I had to go back to Lesotho it would be for that type of riding. 

Cool share.

How about some more details ..... where are the trails relative to the border entry point / accommodation options / accessibility / medical services .... ??? 

I really fancy the idea of blind riding and exploring and would appreciate a sense of the remoteness / self-sufficiency required to pull off a trip.

:thumbup:

If you are a mountainbiker that can still decide on lines and tracks down a mountain you need to go ride there.Its the place ,so man made single track ,it's real riding and it's everywhere .The Roma area is a good call.

Lesotho sky is a must.

Cool share.

How about some more details ..... where are the trails relative to the border entry point / accommodation options / accessibility / medical services .... ??? 

I really fancy the idea of blind riding and exploring and would appreciate a sense of the remoteness / self-sufficiency required to pull off a trip.

:thumbup:

We were based around 30 or 40 min drive from top of Sani Pass border at a guest lodge that was under construction. 

This trip I was on was organised by Detour Trails (www.detourtrails.co.za) with Rowan Surridge. Nigel Hicks and Co. they organised such a rad trip.

Closest hospital was like 100km away or something I heard, so its pretty far out. Accessibility was by 4x4.

I wouldn't suggest going it alone, the place is pretty vast and I would hate to get lost out there.

Give Rohan a shout, they will show you a rad time.

We were based around 30 or 40 min drive from top of Sani Pass border at a guest lodge that was under construction. 

This trip I was on was organised by Detour Trails (www.detourtrails.co.za) with Rowan Surridge. Nigel Hicks and Co. they organised such a rad trip.

Closest hospital was like 100km away or something I heard, so its pretty far out. Accessibility was by 4x4.

I wouldn't suggest going it alone, the place is pretty vast and I would hate to get lost out there.

Give Rohan a shout, they will show you a rad time.

Very helpful, thanks bud. 

There is, as I understand it, soon to be a Lesotho sky enduro.

Lesotho is something else, mtb heaven. Only up or down, nothing flat and nothing manicured.

There is some viscous black mud there though, sometimes you ride your bike, sometimes it rides you....

Yeah. I wanted to be there at the recce but fate unfortunately had other plans for me.

That event looks like something to aim for. I agree on the remoteness. Hiking is one thing but riding a bike downhill fast could easily put you in hospital.

What happened to you Wayne?

Archived