Rapidé TR29-30 TrailRacer Wheelset

bertusras

or, Rapidé TR29-25 TrailRacer.

Yes, yes. I know what y'all are going to shout. Get the widest rim available. But should I really?

Following Stan's Wide-Right philosophy

TRINulr.jpg

The Arch is where I'm supposed to be as I'm running an Ibex 2.4 in the front, and a Canis 2.25 in the rear. Now the Arch is 26mm internal, and the Flow is 29mm internal. So in my mind, surely the 25mm Rapide is fine for my needs? Will the 30mm not square the tyres off too much, or am I overthinking it?

Or, do I splurge out another grand+, and get the ZTR Arch wheels from CWC? 

Halp!

Edited by bertusras

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right, not a trail shredding downhill #enduro machine, but my trusty Silverback Sola 2 hardtail #zeroinchesintherear

Was also looking at the Rapide wheels tonight with the same thing running through my head. Would like to hear thoughts of all.

I was running a new Arch (non EX) on my Sola. Worked very well. Just be check the space on the Sola, if I remember well there is no too much space for very wide (>2,5) tyres.

I was running a new Arch (non EX) on my Sola. Worked very well. Just be check the space on the Sola, if I remember well there is no too much space for very wide (>2,5) tyres.

I've already got the 2.4 up front, but that's on a narrow Alexrim. Will keep it in mind, thanks!

I just picked up my set of 650b 30mm wheels from Wayne yesterday. They're awesome.

I don't think there is any doubt in the quality of Wayne's products, just not quite sure which offering to grab! And whether that extra money actually would have a tangible benefit going for a "name brand"

I did the TR29-25 rim swap from my standard Merida 19 or 20mm rims and using an Ardent 2.4 up front and Ardent 2.25 rear.

It helped stop the tyre from folding under when running low pressures especially in front and gave me more confidence to attack the corners!

The tyres have a nice round profile. I think any wider would be over kill...

I am still not convinced that there is such a big difference between a few millimeters here and there on a mtb rim.

From 21mm to 30mm. Yes.

From 23 to 25 mm?

Or 25 to 27?

Hmmmm. More in the mind and in tire pressures. 

I am still not convinced that there is such a big difference between a few millimeters here and there on a mtb rim.

From 21mm to 30mm. Yes.

From 23 to 25 mm?

Or 25 to 27?

Hmmmm. More in the mind and in tire pressures. 

Have you tried it yourself?

I think it also comes down to which tyres and widths you want to run.

I decided on 25mm ID due to wanting to run tyres in the 2.1 - 2.4 range as these are the most readily available at any bike shop and they are what I have spares of. If I went 30mm I would be wasting my time with a 2.1 crossmark if I ever chose to use one as it would throw the usable tread off on the edges due to the profile it would create.  

But each to his own  :thumbup:

Edited by Mr lee

So just an updated, pulled the trigger on the wider (and heavier 30mm's), but with the intent that hopefully they'll be transferable to something with a bit more travel next year.

Besides, if I want to go fast, I'll take the roadie out, if I want to have fun, that's what knobs are for...

Okay so first up, AWESOME service by Rapide (as usual). Ordered these on Sunday night, got shipped on Wednesday afternoon, delivered on Thursday morning. Incredible!

Then, holy smokes these things are wide. Maybe the 25mm would have been fine  :whistling:

PGub4Y5.jpg

Onza Canis 2.25" at the rear before and after

0rsPtrl.jpg

Ym3iRvk.jpg

Profile comparison

JTE29CY.jpg

LCFZufa.jpg

Can't say I'm seeing a huge difference in the profile, but it does appear slightly less convex. Gained about 5mm overall width.

Onza Ibex 2.4 Front before and after

4k1PTYL.jpg

fjefiH6.jpg

Profile comparison

osVSg9O.jpg

Ru7vKdM.jpg

Definitely a more noticeable difference in the profile, the Ibex looks far less rounded which should create a nice footprint. Gained only 3mm in total overall width.

So it's interesting to see that the differences aren't huge, but I think that the real benefit will only be felt once I actually take it out for a ride. Being able to run lower pressures, and the stiffer wheels should make a substantial difference to the whole experience. Let's see how it goes tomorrow!

Also, Stans does a good job!

7MwgyEk.jpg

Okay so first up, AWESOME service by Rapide (as usual). Ordered these on Sunday night, got shipped on Wednesday afternoon, delivered on Thursday morning. Incredible!

Then, holy smokes these things are wide. Maybe the 25mm would have been fine :whistling:

PGub4Y5.jpg

Onza Canis 2.25" at the rear before and after

0rsPtrl.jpg

Ym3iRvk.jpg

Profile comparison

JTE29CY.jpg

LCFZufa.jpg

Can't say I'm seeing a huge difference in the profile, but it does appear slightly less convex. Gained about 5mm overall width.

Onza Ibex 2.4 Front before and after

4k1PTYL.jpg

fjefiH6.jpg

Profile comparison

osVSg9O.jpg

Ru7vKdM.jpg

Definitely a more noticeable difference in the profile, the Ibex looks far less rounded which should create a nice footprint. Gained only 3mm in total overall width.

So it's interesting to see that the differences aren't huge, but I think that the real benefit will only be felt once I actually take it out for a ride. Being able to run lower pressures, and the stiffer wheels should make a substantial difference to the whole experience. Let's see how it goes tomorrow!

Also, Stans does a good job!

7MwgyEk.jpg

Awesome! I'm looking at ordering a set next year. Please give your post ride thoughts also what sort of terrain/trails are you hitting?

From all of the wheels that I've ridden, own and built, a 25-27mm inner width is optimal for XC-focussed hardtails like the Sola.

I ride a Cotic Solaris with 25mm wide rims and it's perfect.

The offerings from many suppliers fill this niche nicely and there are so many options availalble.

My point is, if you have a bike with stock rims (17-21mm internal) you will benefit greatly by the upgrade to a wider set. The nice thing is you can customise your rims to suit your taste, or your aftermarket brand preference, and make your bike a bit more unique.

Swapping out cheap and narrow stock rims doesn't cost the earth either, as you won't have to replace the hubs. You'l basically pay for the rims, spokes (take the opportunity to upgrade to double-butted spokes and quality brass nipples) and labour.

The best upgrade you can give your bike.