Rapidé TR29-30 TrailRacer Wheelset

bertusras

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can recommend these. Wayne from Rapide recently built me up 27mm internal Rapide wheels with my Giant hubs. 650b. Purgatory 2.3 front and Ground Control rear 2.3. Looks awesome and feels awesome. 

My fault- I hit a kerb at speed, hit the rear rim, didn't even realise I dinged it. The rim held true and no loss of air. A few days later a flat tire alerted me to the dented rim. I managed to slightly carefully push the dent a bit back, and with new rim tape and fresh sealant it is as good as new and is still true and rides great.

I also added a Csixx Foamo only to the rear in case I act like an idiot again. 

Will try post pics later today.

From all of the wheels that I've ridden, own and built, a 25-27mm inner width is optimal for XC-focussed hardtails like the Sola.

I ride a Cotic Solaris with 25mm wide rims and it's perfect.

The offerings from many suppliers fill this niche nicely and there are so many options availalble.

My point is, if you have a bike with stock rims (17-21mm internal) you will benefit greatly by the upgrade to a wider set. The nice thing is you can customise your rims to suit your taste, or your aftermarket brand preference, and make your bike a bit more unique.

Swapping out cheap and narrow stock rims doesn't cost the earth either, as you won't have to replace the hubs. You'l basically pay for the rims, spokes (take the opportunity to upgrade to double-butted spokes and quality brass nipples) and labour.

The best upgrade you can give your bike.

what are your views on re-using spokes (granted they are not old or damaged) for lacing up a new set of rims.

I can recommend these. Wayne from Rapide recently built me up 27mm internal Rapide wheels with my Giant hubs. 650b. Purgatory 2.3 front and Ground Control rear 2.3. Looks awesome and feels awesome. 

My fault- I hit a kerb at speed, hit the rear rim, didn't even realise I dinged it. The rim held true and no loss of air. A few days later a flat tire alerted me to the dented rim. I managed to slightly carefully push the dent a bit back, and with new rim tape and fresh sealant it is as good as new and is still true and rides great.

I also added a Csixx Foamo only to the rear in case I act like an idiot again. 

Will try post pics later today.

What pressure were you running when you dented the rim ?

Okay so, if you're on the fence about upgrading to these wheels. Stop thinking and just do it. For the first time in 2.5 years of owning this bike I understand the word "planted". I can't believe that this single upgrade made such a difference in confidence.

So I loaded the bike and headed out to Wolwespruit this morning. Bear in mind, there was quite a lot of rain this week so I was expecting a total mud-fest. Let's be honest, it was a rocky (muddy) start, and I had quite a few moments of both the front, and the back end sliding all over the place and I was like, welp, that didn't help. But as the trail got less muddy and the wheels started clearing all the gunk between the knobs, the fun started to happen.

Wolwespruit is quite a dynamic trail, with tight forested (and muddy) sections, long (for Pretoria) and steep rocky climbs, fast and loose descents and just about everything in between. I can't say that the first tight forest section impressed me that much, but the moment the trail started pointing downhill and the speed picked up, these came into their own. Where I previously braced myself for a wallow and slide, these wheels just gripped and held their line. I honestly couldn't believe the difference.

I think the true test will come when the trail is dried out and it's just rocks and dust, but on first impressions - f'ing stoked. I think for today's conditions I could have run the pressures a bit lower, but with the amount of pointy rocks, I'm always erring to the side of slightly more pressure.

DO IT!

Also, they seated with my not so wonderful floor pump, first time. Mind = blown!

Glad you like them so much!

I could also not believe how easy tyres seat on a properly designed tubeless rim vs a normal rim.

The main advantage of upgrading your rims is just this: easy to live with tubeless experience.

As a wheel builder I have to seat up loads of tyres tubelessly, and if the rim is a quality, tubeless ready one, I never ever struggle, and only use a track pump.

• 2 months later...

To avoid starting a new thread, I figured I would try work off this one.

If looking at a new set of 29er wheels and considering the Rapide and Lyne offerings only, which would you get and why?

To avoid starting a new thread, I figured I would try work off this one.

If looking at a new set of 29er wheels and considering the Rapide and Lyne offerings only, which would you get and why?

I would go Rapide.

First reason: I have a rapide rim on the front and it's absolutely brilliant!! The brushed black is pretty to look at as well

Second reason: Wayne... Epic service!!

Kinda forgot about this thread.

To reaffirm. DO IT!

Took these out to the Garden Route Trail Park over the holidays, and by golly. I'm really chuffed that I didn't have a moerse accident, as I absolutely blasted these wheels down the hills and there was just grip forever. I am so so so impressed with the difference these made, and how much my confidence went up.

DO IT!

• 8 months later...

I am on the fence about my next upgrade in wheels and would appreciate some input regarding the Rapide rims.

I currently have a 135mm lightish trailbike, which has grown more and more trail specific the more I find myself riding trail centers in the WCape and I'm now realizing that its already to "big" for typical races or long rides that I still enjoy, but still not "burly" enough to really hit the trails and Enduro races flat out. Biggest reason is wheels/tires getting heavier and still not strong enough.  

I currently ride WTB KOM I23' 23mm internal rims(450g) with Ibex 2.25F and Maxxis Ardent race 2.25R) I'm dinging the rear wheel up very quickly and I want to replace the wheelset with a more trail ready settup for 2.35/2.4' tires so I can swap wheels for different days. 

Do you guys think a rim like the Arch MK3 Rapide RE29-30 which are both trail wheels are strong hard enough to run on a 140mm bike? I'm not heavy I just ride pretty aggressively and its pretty rocky where I live. The other option would be going ZTR Flow MK3's, but thats now going pretty heavy.

I am on the fence about my next upgrade in wheels and would appreciate some input regarding the Rapide rims.

I currently have a 135mm lightish trailbike, which has grown more and more trail specific the more I find myself riding trail centers in the WCape and I'm now realizing that its already to "big" for typical races or long rides that I still enjoy, but still not "burly" enough to really hit the trails and Enduro races flat out. Biggest reason is wheels/tires getting heavier and still not strong enough.  

I currently ride WTB KOM I23' 23mm internal rims(450g) with Ibex 2.25F and Maxxis Ardent race 2.25R) I'm dinging the rear wheel up very quickly and I want to replace the wheelset with a more trail ready settup for 2.35/2.4' tires so I can swap wheels for different days. 

Do you guys think a rim like the Arch MK3 Rapide RE29-30 which are both trail wheels are strong hard enough to run on a 140mm bike? I'm not heavy I just ride pretty aggressively and its pretty rocky where I live. The other option would be going ZTR Flow MK3's, but thats now going pretty heavy.

Weight difference between Arch and Flow rather minute isn't it?

If you can afford it, go for the flows. If not, Rapide are more than capable...

Also, it might help to add some sort of rim protection, such as FOAMO or similar.

Weight difference between Arch and Flow rather minute isn't it?

If you can afford it, go for the flows. If not, Rapide are more than capable...

Also, it might help to add some sort of rim protection, such as FOAMO or similar.

I just don't want to make my bike unnecessarily heavy. So Arch MK3 (27-ID) with FOMO inserts

Arch is around 430g, Rapide 475g Flow 520g, I cant help but feel like Flows are OTT, guys ride the Redbull rampage with flows. Perhaps Rapide's with thicker casing's, then I can also run lower pressure.