Jeep track and district roads in greater JHB

dawnh100

The climbing at C2T is brutal. You need to do Van Gaalens -> Breedts -> Van Gaalens. Chat to LTG on here about the routes. Its a tough ride but it'll be worth it when you smash C2T! Get a couple of those under your belts and you'll be smiling. 

There are a lot of dirt roads out South, we often do a 50 - 80 km variation out here, enough climbing and good time in the saddle, pretty safe if there's 2 of you. Can always do it twice if you need more. 

The other option is the monthly Vaal Rides, the DOC group does out south, not a lot of climbing but gets the distance in! 

Just my 2c. 

Find a railway track, there’s access roads for security, maintenance etc running next to the tracks. go with a few riding partners so you not alone.

We did Alberton to Vereeniging and back a few times last year training for C2T.

And as Nerd says, lots of climbing on the way to tonteldoos.

Find a railway track, there’s access roads for security, maintenance etc running next to the tracks. go with a few riding partners so you not alone.

We did Alberton to Vereeniging and back a few times last year training for C2T.

And as Nerd says, lots of climbing on the way to tonteldoos.

Thanks - I'm starting to get nervous about this climbing!  But do still have 12 weeks to stress (I mean, train)...  Do you have a strava route for the Alberton to Vereeniging?

The climbing at C2T is brutal. You need to do Van Gaalens -> Breedts -> Van Gaalens. Chat to LTG on here about the routes. Its a tough ride but it'll be worth it when you smash C2T! Get a couple of those under your belts and you'll be smiling. 

There are a lot of dirt roads out South, we often do a 50 - 80 km variation out here, enough climbing and good time in the saddle, pretty safe if there's 2 of you. Can always do it twice if you need more. 

The other option is the monthly Vaal Rides, the DOC group does out south, not a lot of climbing but gets the distance in! 

Just my 2c. 

I need all of the 2c I can get!  

Will definitely have a look at DOC group rides - thanks for the advice - will look for those routes too.  

• 4 weeks later...

Any PTA riders with some district roads and jeep track routes in and around the Rosemary hills area where we could smash out a quick 80-100km safely? 

Thank you! 

I need all of the 2c I can get!

Will definitely have a look at DOC group rides - thanks for the advice - will look for those routes too.

You should join the Doc guys for their Vaal Dam ride next week. Cool ride...

Any PTA riders with some district roads and jeep track routes in and around the Rosemary hills area where we could smash out a quick 80-100km safely? 

Thank you! 

The whole area is safe, can ride all way to bronkies dam, and south past oxbow etc, I will try get a few of my gran fondo routes in that area.

The whole area is safe, can ride all way to bronkies dam, and south past oxbow etc, I will try get a few of my gran fondo routes in that area.

Would really appreciate that - thank you! 

Have paid for the bus, we are confirmed for the ride ;)

Nice! You will enjoy it, super bunch of people....

• 2 weeks later...

Just my 2c. 

So - I rode the kindly shared vGaalens to Breedts route yesterday - it kicked my a$$ properly.
I made to within 200m of the top of breeds (the SHORT side) and am now seriously concerned about the ability to complete C2T, if the climbing of of the same rocky, slately make-up.

Is the technical ability of the climb what is so good about it - or just the climb itself?  Typically, a little extended gradient isn't too much of an issue - but yesterday... different story.
If I wasn't navigating rocks in the 2nd low granny gear - I actually might have made it to the top - but the losing my back wheel all the time made it near impossible! 

May need a different personality and an extra 10kg to keep the rear wheel down if I try that all again :) 

So - I rode the kindly shared vGaalens to Breedts route yesterday - it kicked my a$$ properly.
I made to within 200m of the top of breeds (the SHORT side) and am now seriously concerned about the ability to complete C2T, if the climbing of of the same rocky, slately make-up.

Is the technical ability of the climb what is so good about it - or just the climb itself?  Typically, a little extended gradient isn't too much of an issue - but yesterday... different story.
If I wasn't navigating rocks in the 2nd low granny gear - I actually might have made it to the top - but the losing my back wheel all the time made it near impossible! 

May need a different personality and an extra 10kg to keep the rear wheel down if I try that all again :)

Dont worry, theres no climbs at C2T as bad as Breedts, 

The last climb into Tonteldoos  (WTF Climb) is the most tech climb and its completely rid able