Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

Two months!? ai eina ai!

I best get my head  squared away. shut up legs!!

It will be in the morning.....as your feet touch the floor as you swivel off the bed, your body goes "oh no, they're up!"  :clap: 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the opinion on this? I sometimes take my lightie for a ride in the evenings/weekends. Have a old 26inch with a seat on the back. Did 10km with him yesterday. Commute or not?

What's the opinion on this? I sometimes take my lightie for a ride in the evenings/weekends. Have a old 26inch with a seat on the back. Did 10km with him yesterday. Commute or not?

negative on the commute....

However the fix is easy, stop off somewhere for an ice cream cone and the issue is fixed. WIN WIN!

Commute basically is riding to work / shops / appointments where you normally would have used other forms of transport.  Going to the shops to buy groceries with your kids would be fine or dropping of newspapers with your kids would also be seen as a commute but from what LWB said would consitute a normal ride in my book.

I was meeting someone at Lanseria airport to pick up a cassette I bought - he then whatsapped me he's flying from ORT - but had he not could I have claimed a 100 km commute as I fitted it in on my Saturday training ride... tricky one... I'd say NO.

I was meeting someone at Lanseria airport to pick up a cassette I bought - he then whatsapped me he's flying from ORT - but had he not could I have claimed a 100 km commute as I fitted it in on my Saturday training ride... tricky one... I'd say NO.

It's a no from me.

It's a no from me.

Of course you'd say no as I would have jumped over you ;)

But if I didn't have a bike I would have to drive out there - hence I'd say it's borderline!

Of course you'd say no as I would have jumped over you ;)

But if I didn't have a bike I would have to drive out there - hence I'd say it's borderline!

LOL!  Admittedly my response was a bit self serving.....  :whistling:

Where does one find such a contraption?

Hi Zub, contact Diane at dupss@mweb.co.za or 0798983769 they are R25, she is in Jhb but sure they can be posted.

Look at it this way ...

I am 1,86m tall, weigh in at about 84kg.  Under normal day to day activity, my body burns about 2400 kilo calories per day.

I did not have too much problems commuting in SA as my distances were shorter but when I started commuting the 35 km one way here I very quickly developed a problem.

Everytime I commute, I cycle per day about 2,5 hours which in turn means I burn just in those 2,5 hours anything between 2000 and 2200 kilo calories extra, over and above my normal burn rate.  You need to put a large part of that back into you body.  Otherwise come day 3 you WILL realise you have a problem.

It might be a good idea to use a Calorie counting app like FatSecret or even Garmin Connect might have something just to track you daily activity and what you eat so that you get an idea of what you take in and what you spend.  It helps you get a better idea of what to eat under what conditions.  You don'T have to constantly use the app. The moment you formed the habit you continue as per normal.

Thanks for this!  This site is really cool. I'm amazed at how far under by recommended intake I am. The issue now is that lugging more food around is going to make my commute tougher-er.  :o

Diet wise - what are you guys eating to up your calorie intake?

Thanks for this!  This site is really cool. I'm amazed at how far under by recommended intake I am. The issue now is that lugging more food around is going to make my commute tougher-er.  :o

Diet wise - what are you guys eating to up your calorie intake?

Can't say that I really had to up my calorie intake.  I did learn to look at what calories would fill me better. Pap is heavy in calories btw.  Lately I am looking into upping my protein portions.  Looking at tuna sandwiches and something with chicken and beans.

Can't say that I really had to up my calorie intake.  I did learn to look at what calories would fill me better. Pap is heavy in calories btw.  Lately I am looking into upping my protein portions.  Looking at tuna sandwiches and something with chicken and beans.

When I used to commute 50kms a day my food intake was:-

Bowl of yogurt and raw oats before leaving home

Piece of cheese and a small yogurt at teatime.

Bread roll and peanut butter at lunchtime.

Tin of tuna at afternoon tea

Supper consisted of multiple vegetables and some meat. But a portion size thatwould fit into a soup bowl.

In the beginning ( six weeks) I lost 6kgs in weight but thereafter it stabilised.

When I used to commute 50kms a day my food intake was:-

Bowl of yogurt and raw oats before leaving home

Piece of cheese and a small yogurt at teatime.

Bread roll and peanut butter at lunchtime.

Tin of tuna at afternoon tea

Supper consisted of multiple vegetables and some meat. But a portion size thatwould fit into a soup bowl.

In the beginning ( six weeks) I lost 6kgs in weight but thereafter it stabilised.

all of that sounds like my breakfast

Archived