Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

I spent the week in the hospital with pneumonia. This ends my non-stop commute since November.

I don't even know how I will get to work next week and have no idea how long it will take to get back on the bike. My lungs took some bad shots.

Any recovery suggestions?

Sorry to hear.  I am no doctor but I would not start too quickly.  I am not sure how long your commute is but I assume the air is cooler in the mornings now that the winter is approaching which you should be very carefull of.  I would actually suggest short IDT sessions in a temperature controlled environment where there is no cold wind (in you house) to get your lungs up and running slowly.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Pneumonia is no joke to try and recover from...it took me about 3 months after the week in hospital to feel good again on the bike.

As mentioned - a bit of temp controlled indoor sessions help, and just ride easy - do not stress the respiratory systems

So managed to do 365 km for the week last week.  Was a good one.  Just got a surprise attack from the clouds. Almost rode into hail storm on Friday afternoon.  Ten kilometers from home all hell broke loose as lightning started striking everywhere.  I just passed a beer garden and decided to wait there while the storm passes.  Was a good descision as hail hit my home town big time.

Heavy raining today but tommorow light rain and after that sunshine and good weather for the week.

Those dark clouds in the back were waiting for me ;)

post-71-0-33502000-1523858555_thumb.jpg

So managed to do 365 km for the week last week.  Was a good one.  Just got a surprise attack from the clouds. Almost rode into hail storm on Friday afternoon.  Ten kilometers from home all hell broke loose as lightning started striking everywhere.  I just passed a beer garden and decided to wait there while the storm passes.  Was a good descision as hail hit my home town big time.

Heavy raining today but tommorow light rain and after that sunshine and good weather for the week.

Those dark clouds in the back were waiting for me ;)

attachicon.gifHeavy weather.JPG

Nicely done Bats! You're flying up the challenge leader board....

Started a new job beginning of the month.  Few problems to commute:

The bathroom is very small and a shared bathroom.

No place to leave my bicycle (not even space in my office)

and the worst part is:

Trip:

-25.781725, 28.348879

To:

-25.7827713, 28.2625673

The problem is crossing here:  

-25.7827713, 28.2625673

-25.766105, 28.275461

-25.778563, 28.272211

there is a crossing here: (-25.756447, 28.274932) but then I need to cross Atterbury.  So not sure on the route. and if there are any safe routes to the office...

Thanks. The tour guides will be transporting the bags.

I will bank the miles and we can discuss whether they count as commuting after the fact. Will post strava links. Sound fair? 

enough chit chat .. when are you going on holiday ... I need to catch up and pass you with a couple of km's extra to make sure I am "safe" if I am not on the bike for a day or two :P

Started a new job beginning of the month.  Few problems to commute:

The bathroom is very small and a shared bathroom.

No place to leave my bicycle (not even space in my office)

and the worst part is:

Trip:

-25.781725, 28.348879

To:

-25.7827713, 28.2625673

The problem is crossing here:  

-25.7827713, 28.2625673

-25.766105, 28.275461

-25.778563, 28.272211

there is a crossing here: (-25.756447, 28.274932) but then I need to cross Atterbury.  So not sure on the route. and if there are any safe routes to the office...

Well first of all congrats on the new job.  That is very good news to start with.  I used to cycle ofthen in the mornings on the M10 but I suppose in the last couple of years the traffic just continued to increase.  I would suggest starting of on the M10 but then going through Garsfontein with Jacqueline Dr and then take the backroads to Menlyn and then hop over the N1 at Ashlea Gardens.  You should be fine on that.

Well first of all congrats on the new job.  That is very good news to start with.  I used to cycle ofthen in the mornings on the M10 but I suppose in the last couple of years the traffic just continued to increase.  I would suggest starting of on the M10 but then going through Garsfontein with Jacqueline Dr and then take the backroads to Menlyn and then hop over the N1 at Ashlea Gardens.  You should be fine on that.

Thanks

Problem is the crossing at Menlyn and the N1.  They build a stunning system to get onto the high way, with 0 thought on commuters.  I just spotted going under the highway via Dely Road, but I know that area was a high crime area few months back

Thanks

Problem is the crossing at Menlyn and the N1.  They build a stunning system to get onto the high way, with 0 thought on commuters.  I just spotted going under the highway via Dely Road, but I know that area was a high crime area few months back

I know the intersection well.  My wife used to work there at the Deloitte offices.  It is not ideal and a bit of interval training session.  But have not experienced too many issues there.

Or you could just stick a Samsung Galaxy S7 into the side of you shoe  :whistling:

LOL!!

Will help with visibility too!

Thankfully only going on holiday in July  :D

But taking Monday, 30 April off.  :P

You back on the bike now? Seems my free km are over.  :rolleyes:

enough chit chat .. when are you going on holiday ... I need to catch up and pass you with a couple of km's extra to make sure I am "safe" if I am not on the bike for a day or two :P

Thankfully only going on holiday in July  :D

But taking Monday, 30 April off.  :P

You back on the bike now? Seems my free km are over.  :rolleyes:

been riding through this flu thingie at a slow pace ... bloody endomondo has dropped on me for three rides though ... cell did a system update this morning, and the endo recorded following this was stable.

been riding through this flu thingie at a slow pace ... bloody endomondo has dropped on me for three rides though ... cell did a system update this morning, and the endo recorded following this was stable.

was wondering what had happened to you this week. Hope it all sorted now

What a ride home yesterday afternoon. 

Was drenched within the first 3 minutes but loved it.

Was a refreshing ride. Although i got a bit cold towards the end but totally worth it.

Was quite a sight checking all the water out that was flowing down the road.  :D

Archived