Upgrading to dual suspension

Jackyvr

Hello everyone.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a dual suspension mtb. My bubget is about R40 000. Will only be in about a month or two from now, but just wanna get a feel for what I should be looking for.

I have been looking at 3 bikes, silverback sido 1(coming march), momson vipa 2 and cannondale si 5 scalpel.

As it is a lot of money and I would like to make an informative decision and reviews are few, I would appreciate some views and opinions.

I usually do a few 3 day stage and 1 day 60km events.

I am not near a cycly shop that I can do test rides or look at the bikes, but plan on going to cape town next month and will have a look then.

Thanks

Jacky

Scalpel, you will only have 1 shock (rear) that needs bushings/seals to be replaced on a regular basis.

On the Lefty 2.0 anyone can attend to the bearing migration... all you need is a valve spanner and a shock pump, and it takes about 2-3 minutes to reset the bearings without disassembling anything.

The small bump compliance on a Lefty is without comparison, no Fox, Rockshox, MRP, Manitou or Ohlins can compare. The 2018 Scalpels have a great geometry making it a more relaxed ride.

Edited by Traveler

Hi Jacky

I find myself in a similar situation and have narrowed down my search to :

• 2017 Silverback Sido 1 with a Sram Eagle upgrade
  • Trek Top Fuel 8 (need to covert to 1x)
  • Giant Anthem 2

The bikes in this price range all have pros and cons, so I would go with what fits the budget and with aesthetics. 

Has someone confirmed the 2018 Silverback Sido 1 will be available in March? Any idea on pricing?

Hi Jacky

I find myself in a similar situation and have narrowed down my search to :

• 2017 Silverback Sido 1 with a Sram Eagle upgrade
  • Trek Top Fuel 8 (need to covert to 1x)
  • Giant Anthem 2

The bikes in this price range all have pros and cons, so I would go with what fits the budget and with aesthetics. 

Has someone confirmed the 2018 Silverback Sido 1 will be available in March? Any idea on pricing?

On that list the Top Fuel is the winner. There is a reason why the Top Fuel (various iterations) has come out tops in many a comparisons in major MTB publications during 2017. And for some even the bike of the year.

Hi, been out all day, so just saw posts.

Peron- Send silverback an email and they said new sido will be available March, price on their site is R38 000.

Traveler- I very much like the scalpel, only 2 questions. 1. Trek top fuel or Cannondale scalpel(lol) 2. Brand new si5 alloy or secondhand carbon 2017?

Don't really want to go secondhand but will consider it.

Thanks

Personally, I feel you will get a better bike secondhand @ R40K.

Yes, I know you won't be able to keep the warranty on the frame, but I am sure the insurance can cover that if something might go wrong.

If you are sceptical about the bike, ask the seller if it would be possible to take into a local bike shop to check it out. Sure, it is a hassle but if the seller really wants to sell the bike, he/she will go through the effort for you.