Mtb help

jesica

Hey all

Thanks for all the advice

As I am reading the forum, I think going into a bigger gearand dropping my tyre pressure will make a huge differents.

Then I must just overcome fear :-(

Keep the advice coming :thumbup:

Get in touch with Peach and book a skills class. 

No point in scaring yourself and breaking your confidence. Seeing that you're new to MTB just maybe you can prevent some bad habits in the future as well.

PS. If you would like PM me and I'll send you Peach's number

Hey all

Thanks for all the advice

As I am reading the forum, I think going into a bigger gearand dropping my tyre pressure will make a huge differents.

Then I must just overcome fear :-(

Keep the advice coming [emoji106]

I'll second the advice on a skills course/clinic (thinking of attending one) and making use of flat pedals, they really do make a difference.

As for the climbing: I have found that by keeping my hands loose over the bars I can keep the front wheel down when it lifts and guide it as I ride. Basically I find that keeping a easy rhythm helps with being able to climb smoothly. So find a gear ratio that feels comfortable but not overly taxing.

Everything else is simply a case of having confidence in your yourself, your abilities and your bike. This will come the more you mountain bike. Also have a look on GMBN's YouTube channel as they have great skills videos and they are pretty good at explaining how to get the most out of your riding.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Climbing advice as per above:

Rocky decents take practice.A skills course will help, but Ride time is best.

When riding any trail dont "LOOK" at the obstacle in your path but rather next to that obstacle. Your bike follows where you are looking. If you look at the rock, you will ride into it.

On decents, Momentum is your friend (same with steep technical climbs), not your brakes. Grabbing a handful of panic brakes when you forgot to look at the side of the rock, is a sure fire way of cartwheeling over your handlebars when your front wheel jams up against the rough stuff and doesnt have enough momentum to roll over it.

29ers work better than 26ers.

Hardtails force you to choose better lines than dual suspension "Lazyboys"

When decending, ease your weight back over your backwheel (or a lot if its very steep) and let your bike go (within reason). Ride that decent. It takes practice to find the best line and quick decision making.

Dont panic. Its that fine line between still being in control and the devine guiding hand from above that keeps us all coming back for more...

Dont loose control. Not too much front brake. Too slow and you jam against rocks and go over the handlebars. Dont ride your back brake the whole way down either... when damp it will sound as if you are being chased by a squadron of mosquitoes, and with your hands squeezing the brakes in a death grip, you have less steering control.

Timing is important too, brake before the corner on the decent, not halfway through it as this will make your bike "sit up" and you can no longer lean into the turn.

In a fast or sketchy loose turn, always keep your outside pedal down and put all your weight onto it. This keeps your wheels in traction, as well as giving extra clearance to the pedal as your bike leans inwards to take the turn

have fun out there.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Hey there ....  welcome to MTB..  :clap:

I see you ride Avianto.....  if you like , drop me a message and we can hook up for a ride , nothing better than riding together and sharing the skills !!!1

Does it also makes a difference what cleats you are using. I tend to find it easier with my feet out of the cleats

Does it also makes a difference what cleats you are using. I tend to find it easier with my feet out of the cleats

Edited by jesica

Climbing advice as per above:

Rocky decents take practice.A skills course will help, but Ride time is best.

When riding any trail dont "LOOK" at the obstacle in your path but rather next to that obstacle. Your bike follows where you are looking. If you look at the rock, you will ride into it.

On decents, Momentum is your friend (same with steep technical climbs), not your brakes. Grabbing a handful of panic brakes when you forgot to look at the side of the rock, is a sure fire way of cartwheeling over your handlebars when your front wheel jams up against the rough stuff and doesnt have enough momentum to roll over it.

29ers work better than 26ers.

Hardtails force you to choose better lines than dual suspension "Lazyboys"

When decending, ease your weight back over your backwheel (or a lot if its very steep) and let your bike go (within reason). Ride that decent. It takes practice to find the best line and quick decision making.

Dont panic. Its that fine line between still being in control and the devine guiding hand from above that keeps us all coming back for more...

Dont loose control. Not too much front brake. Too slow and you jam against rocks and go over the handlebars. Dont ride your back brake the whole way down either... when damp it will sound as if you are being chased by a squadron of mosquitoes, and with your hands squeezing the brakes in a death grip, you have less steering control.

Timing is important too, brake before the corner on the decent, not halfway through it as this will make your bike "sit up" and you can no longer lean into the turn.

In a fast or sketchy loose turn, always keep your outside pedal down and put all your weight onto it. This keeps your wheels in traction, as well as giving extra clearance to the pedal as your bike leans inwards to take the turn

have fun out there.

I've been riding for a while and I've found value in reading this.