Single Speed Cogs

Smets

Hi

Does anybody know where I can get single speed cogs smaller than 16t? Rapide only had down to 16t and I have a 26er with a 30t chainring so it's not ideal for what I ride. Would prefer not to change the chainring if possible.

Try Hunter cycles, or the shop at The Spruit, not sure what it's name is.

Something to consider at the back is a ss sprocket goes over and onto the freewheel body, so you are limited ito how small you can go. My suggestion would be to go for a 34t up front and then play around between a 16t, 17t and 18t at the back. 

Why would you prefer not to change the front? Cost saving or is there a specific reason? 

If stuck and unable to find a specific SS cog, you can always break and old cassette and use the single cog of the size you need

Thanks so much for all the replies, will check those shops out!

@shaper Just worried about doing that because the surface area is pretty small if it's not part of a cassette and it might dig into the hub

@Letum911 Yeah 34t might be better seeing as I already have 16t and 17t cogs. Was mostly for cost savings and I like the wolftooth 30t I have but if I pick up a chainring off the hub might actually only be slightly more expensive.

@shaper Just worried about doing that because the surface area is pretty small if it's not part of a cassette and it might dig into the hub

@Letum911 Yeah 34t might be better seeing as I already have 16t and 17t cogs. Was mostly for cost savings and I like the wolftooth 30t I have but if I pick up a chainring off the hub might actually only be slightly more expensive.

Rode a SS for over a year like that without issue, As I said you can run it in the short term whilst looking for a specific SS cog

Fair point, I tend to like the slower cadence in the front that comes from a 34t. Just something to keep in mind.

But changing the front will be more pricey, firstly chainblades are more expensive but you will also most likely have to get a new chain depending on your current chain length. Goodluck with the search!!

• 1 month later...

the 11/12/13 bottom teeth on a freehub have quite a wide flange and are already separate.. 

Only try this if you are checking out ratios. I did it and every time I stand and put more power it will slip off. My chain was 101% aligned and still it came of. The problem is that those wheels are designed to either climb or drop the chain. 

I learned that the hard way while testing for gears....

I bought my 12t from Torq zone in Doorn Kloof. cant remember the price but it wast an arm or leg.

I have been running my 39T (standard from my 105 group set) up front with a 12T at the back. it isn't the (magic) set as I needed a chain guide to keep the chain tout.

haven't looked back since and I keep on pissing on a couple of roadies egos....