Pressfit BB30 adapter for a Shimano octalink frame?

Cois

I am not sure if this has been asked, the one result I found was a few years old, so I am not sure if there is new technology out yet or not.

I purchased a few goodies on the classifieds section this week, but I did not take into consideration that the things I bought will not fit my bike.  

The brakes are not an issue at the moment, but it might be later on...  But I need to focus on the idiot error first.

I purchased a  Truvativ Crankset 2x10.  I did not read that it had a press-fit 30 BB, and I was looking for the other goodies that were sold.  But after seeing the crankset I thought it would make a better addition to my bike than my wifes' bike.

So now the dilemma.  I have a Commencal Premier Pro 2010 bike.  I replaced the BB last year with a Shimano Hollowtech BB and fitted an SLC 2x10 crankset.

Do you get a replacement BB that will be able to replace the Hollowtech BB and fit a Truvativ suitable BB on the bike?

post-686-0-86412500-1523611577_thumb.jpg

Just measure the BB30 axle length first and make sure its not a true BB30, that can only fit PF or BB30 frames.

With the 30mm BSA BB screwed in, It should measure basically 86mm wide. Basically making your bike acceptable for BB386 cranks.

Some SRAM/Truvative cranks do have a long enough spindle, you just need to remove the play adjuster.

Screw the 2 cranks together and measure from crank to crank, excluding the adjuster and if its less that 86mm, then you are out of luck.

If its long enough, you then have to start figuring out if your chanlibe will be effected or not, as some of the BB30 cranks that come off of a specialized are manufactured in a manner that the cranks have different offsets, meaning the centre of the axle wont be in the centre of your frame.

Edited by JA-Q001

As per the QnA on that site, your frame needs to have a 68mm wide BB shell for this to work, and as mentioned a true BB30 crank may not work as it is slightly narrower....

Perhaps a safer option would be to sell the BB30 crankset you have or try and trade it for the GXP option which will work 100% rather than buying adapters that may or may not work...

Edited by Skinnyone

I've just reposted an add for a spare BB30 pressfit adaptor. Converts to BSA threaded BB.

Lemme know if this may help you.

I've got one on my bike. It's 5000km in and no worries.

I've just reposted an add for a spare BB30 pressfit adaptor. Converts to BSA threaded BB.

Lemme know if this may help you.

I've got one on my bike. It's 5000km in and no worries.

He is looking for the other way around - BSA to BB30, you have a BB30 to BSA adapter...

If its long enough, you then have to start figuring out if your chanlibe will be effected or not, as some of the BB30 cranks that come off of a specialized are manufactured in a manner that the cranks have different offsets, meaning the centre of the axle wont be in the centre of your frame.

Darn....  it comes from a Specialized Epic.

As far as I know it not possible to fit a Pressfit frame with a bearing so that a BB30 crank can be used.

Since your frame is threaded (used Octalink) you have an option. Rotor makes a threaded conversion so that you can use a BB30 in a non BB30 frame. Just as cfcjim stated above. I think Wheelsmanufacturing also makes such a conversion (that will be pricey).

Just make sure that you measure the new overall width of shell and external bearing cups.

Edited by Traveler

• 2 weeks later...

What about this:

https://tokencycling.co.za/shop/2554/

I have never tried it, but it says you can use BB30 cranks in a GXP / BSA frame.

Schnavel, your solution worked perfectly.  

I got the BB last week and tested the new crank this weekend.  Worked 100%.  

Thanks for posting and your willingness to assist.