Is it feasible to run road tyres on a CX bike?

Jaguar Shark

Hi Hubbers

I'm in the market for a new bike and am keen for a multipurpose machine. I mostly ride road but do a bit of dirt riding and thought about jumping onto the 'gravel' bandwagon using the disc brake frame with a second set of wheels with some road tyres on. I think this would be a good setup for the riding I do down here in Knysna where the forest roads would be perfect for a machine like this:

17-7.jpg

Thoughts, recommendations advise?

Yeah I'm also toying with the idea of chucking on some 32mm slick tyres onto the gravel machine, especially after I was pushed off the road not once, not twice, but thrice this morning.

It won't be as fast as a decked out road bike, but it will get pretty close.

I received my panaracer 32mm tyres yesterday. Nice size for comfort. Haven’t ridden them yet, but the smaller 28mm is a fast tyre.

post-26136-0-01143400-1523707840_thumb.jpegpost-26136-0-74730100-1523707858_thumb.jpeg

Next to its bigger 35mm gravel tyre

post-26136-0-01369000-1523707938_thumb.jpeg

I ride 32c tyres on my roadbike. They not slower than 23 or 25c but alot more cumfy. 23/25c at 8-9bar pressure as opposed to 5-6bar on the 32c. Rough road surface and cateyes just don’t matter anymore, no turning back.

If you are using MTB wheels just check the max pressure the rims can handle, otherwise no problem

Nice Bike!

I have 2 sets of wheels one with cx tires and one with 32mm conti road. Although I don't ride much road the option is there. Also easier to do tubeless on the cx tires and not have to worry.

Now to get another cassette as that is my biggest pain right now. Swap between cx, road & trainer wheels.

Archived