Kids Helmet?

Whatsup!

Hi All

I am looking at getting new helmets for my two little girls.

Ages, 2 and 3. 

They have had the cheapie helmets from Sportsmans warehouse but need an upgrade. The straps keep sliding and never fit properly. I keep having to adjust and then tape the straps to keep them in place. 

Any recommendations one which ones?

I like the look of the Bell Sidetrack helmets. 

I am not sure on the size options, as it looks like there is one "child" size 47-54 and the "youth' size 50-57.

Anyone with experience on the sizes? I like the 50-57 option as it will last a long time, but may be a bit too big to start with.

All advice and experience will help.

Thanks

I got kittel the Bell Sidetrack, the Shark one. 

It has great retention strap, he hits the ground a lot with his head and it stays put. Was like R700 at Constania bike park.

Got the smaller option, he is 3 now and has plenty room to grow.

I dont recall which Bell I got for my daughter, but I know I struggled to find a proper helmet in her size.

Everywhere had those cheapy ones like at Sportmans and I was not prepared to risk that, landed up finding only one that fitted at my LBS.

Its like a lumo green colour, has excelent straps and has 2 rear lights built into it (which I've never even taken out the little plastic thing between the battery and the contacts).

Oldest daughter has progressed to a Bontranger helmet now and the youngest is wearing the Bell.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have experience with this one?: https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/first-ascent-jnr-electric-helmet

A%2AHELMET%20-%20ROAD%20MTB%2AHRTMFIRST%

Looking to buy for a really small toddler.  Has to be safe, fit well and have proper ventilation.

It would be an added bonus if it matched this: 

post-3544-0-21968600-1538388443.jpg

EDIT:  Or this one?

http://cyclelab.com/images/detailed/6/alpina-ximo.jpg

First electric bikes and now electric helmets!?!?!?  Where will it end?

Jokes aside...  I don't have experience with either of these, but they will probably do the trick.  As others have mentioned, a proper fit is important and goes a long way.  Personally I would not go for anything cheaper than R600, keeping in mind that the quality should justify the price point, as a R1000 tag on a R10 helmet won't make it any safer...  If a decent protective IPhone cover goes for R400, surely it's worth considering dishing out more for a "dop vir jou kop".

First electric bikes and now electric helmets!?!?!?  Where will it end?

Jokes aside...  I don't have experience with either of these, but they will probably do the trick.  As others have mentioned, a proper fit is important and goes a long way.  Personally I would not go for anything cheaper than R600, keeping in mind that the quality should justify the price point, as a R1000 tag on a R10 helmet won't make it any safer...  If a decent protective IPhone cover goes for R400, surely it's worth considering dishing out more for a "dop vir jou kop".

I would not mind spending more, but try finding an XS high-end helmet for a 2-year old... eish.  I'm not talking junior helmet here, it is for a toddler with a balance bike.

I would not mind spending more, but try finding an XS high-end helmet for a 2-year old... eish.  I'm not talking junior helmet here, it is for a toddler with a balance bike.

There is a bell sidetrack which is pink, around R700.  Fits 2 year old perfectly. 

I got my son (9) a Specialized S3. He lost / forgot it during a day out with friensds. Factor that in when choosing a helmet for kids.

If a kid forgets his/her helmet, it might be worth it to "forget" to feed them for a month to recover the cost of a new helmet  :devil: Just saying...  It might be an actual consideration, seeing how raising children properly by means of an old fashioned hiding (not a beating or assaulting) gets criminalised, but "rondkyk twak" gets decriminalised...  

Can't say I know the feeling...  Yet!  Our kid is but a couple months old...

Does anyone have experience with this one?: https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/first-ascent-jnr-electric-helmet

A%2AHELMET%20-%20ROAD%20MTB%2AHRTMFIRST%

Looking to buy for a really small toddler.  Has to be safe, fit well and have proper ventilation.

It would be an added bonus if it matched this: 

post-3544-0-21968600-1538388443.jpg

EDIT:  Or this one?

http://cyclelab.com/images/detailed/6/alpina-ximo.jpg

Both should do the trick perfectly. Assuming you can find them in a size that fits...

Also, safety ratings are safety ratings. A lot of helmets are only more expensive because of fit/aero, not "better safety". 

Thanks for the input everyone.  The Bell Sidetrack comes in "child" size too which is smaller.  Perfect, but wow,  it sure is PINK!!!   :eek: bell-sidetrack-youth-bike-helmet-matte-p

EDIT: Is this visor design safe for small kids?

Edited by 2bliss