Cross Cape Cycle Route by Unicycle

I'm done! That's it, I'm making Swellendam my end point. It may still be a bit of distance to the end of the official Cross Cape Cycle Route, but I'm more than happy with what I have achieved. 450 km in 10 days of riding on my unicycle! I set out on the trip to have a bit of fun, meet new people, push myself and see a bit more of this amazing country, and I have done just that. The main reason for me calling it here is due to the fact that my butt can't take it any more ;) It is at the point that I can't ride more than 2km before I have to get off the uni and walk to give my butt a break.

I will still do a report for the last two days and at some point a full review too.c05b43bffcc3b7bdb820bf2cc8e69042.jpge85faa67c108cefd47be0ccd3b4df045.jpg9edbbfea6d356f1cdf1c916103710837.jpg

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for writing up your experiences. It is good to enjoy them from behind the keyboard ^_^ .

You posts give some insight into what Ed Pratt has taken on, uni-cycling around the world! The guy has already gone > 3/4 of the way round. He must be an extraordinary athlete, but he has become quite a skilled film producer too. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/worldunicycletour

Big flipping kudos man!! well done.  :clap:

but seriously, the first thing that went through my head was "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"   :eek:

Big flipping kudos man!! well done.  :clap:

but seriously, the first thing that went through my head was "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"   :eek:

Only age teaches this.  The impatience of youth does sometimes boggle the brain.

Well done on your efforts!

Edited by Sepia

Cheers all.

Ed Pratt is a machine, what I find super impressive with him is how young he is.

Now time for beer

So I have been meaning to put up the last few days and here they are. I know it's like you have read the ending of a book and are now paging back.

Day 10, got off to a slow start out of Riverdale. The road pretty much ran just north of the N2. The beginning I was met by nasty winds before climbing into the pine forests. A lot of the area is diary country, so plenty of farms and livestock. Rode for about 50km and it was starting to get late, so I thought it a good time to find a spot to camp. Found a good spot just out of sight, behind some trees and called it home for the night. The day was warm, as was the evening, so much so, I did not even use a sleeping bag.6bc506060b17b3cef5d1c941f2179ee2.jpg11a15c7fad5528abc82e156fc4c50225.jpgce729519fa8147bd41107f7d035e19e8.jpg

Day 11 was my ride from my camp site in the middle of nowhere, into Swellendam. The distance was about 45km, but mostly on tar once I got near Suurbraak. I stopped for lunch in this quaint little town. The rest of the ride to Swellendam was via the N2, so no highlights to speak of there. At least there was a coffee shop that sells Origin coffee, so that lifted my mood.bf31772a9861601cc2c47947d3a79ee9.jpgbb60ea64362af6617ee9e50536847a50.jpg768ad7cc0b86724d30ba1044746665b3.jpg