Colnago C40 B-Stay Build

The bug bit... bad.

After being fortunate enough to get hold of an immaculate C59 team edition from a fellow hubber, I still couldn't shake the desire to get my hands on an original art decor C40 (After this I will be getting a titanium Colnago too).

After looking at the ad for weeks - telling myself I mustn't, I shouldn't, the money is better spent elsewhere. I said to hell with it and bought this from another hubber:

post-50555-0-23358100-1527188939_thumb.jpg

post-50555-0-84264700-1527188954_thumb.jpg

post-50555-0-00848600-1527188971_thumb.jpg

post-50555-0-41494100-1527189004_thumb.jpg

post-50555-0-26671700-1527189015_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few current questions:

1. Any way to tell titanium BB from aluminium other than trying to guess if it's colour is silver vs dark grey metal?
  2. Anyone have a secret source for 1 inch headsets as I only have the record headset cups.
  3. Any idea on what this paint scheme was designated, I can't find it on another b-stay model on google, only on the mk1/mk2's with slight variations.
  4. Regarding the paint, I want to leave the art decor as is - bar some minor scuffs on the drive side chain stay and one tiny scratch near the b-saty logo it is otherwise perfect. I do however want to touch up the black around the dropouts and touch up the clear coat in one or two spots. Thoughts on this?
Edited by Nakoota

The bug bit... bad.

After being fortunate enough to get hold of an immaculate C59 team edition from a fellow hubber, I still couldn't shake the desire to get my hands on an original art decor C40 (After this I will be getting a titanium Colnago too).

After looking at the ad for weeks - telling myself I mustn't, I shouldn't, the money is better spent elsewhere. I said to hell with it and bought this from another hubber:

I may have a headset for you in my stash - you say 1 inch. I had some extras. I have a C40 BStay which i bought from Alan van Heerden for about R 18500 in about 2000 or 2001. I also want to get it touched up to original. My colour scheme is similar - will send you pics if you like. Its running 10 speed Record on it at the moment.

I may have a headset for you in my stash - you say 1 inch. I had some extras. I have a C40 BStay which i bought from Alan van Heerden for about R 18500 in about 2000 or 2001. I also want to get it touched up to original. My colour scheme is similar - will send you pics if you like. Its running 10 speed Record on it at the moment.

Hey Paul that would be awesome I'll DM my number for some of those pics. Let me know if you do have a headset as I was not able to find anything other than a chris king from overseas.

Hey Paul that would be awesome I'll DM my number for some of those pics. Let me know if you do have a headset as I was not able to find anything other than a chris king from overseas.

They are pricey but will last a lifetime.

Edited by Cippo

Got a chance to clean off and degrease the "new from The Hub" groupset today. As costs are escalating quickly I also opted for my existing Arione rather than a new one - the cover just needs a slight touch up on the white lines otherwise it is good.

I have an incoming order from merlin with the Chris King NoThreadset, look Keo 2 Blade pedals and new Super Record italian thread BB cups.

post-50555-0-62870000-1528040167_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nakoota

Isn't it sacrilege to build a C40 with anything but Record Titanium 10s?

I think I might just be ok with sacrilege. When i find a decent 10s Record groupset I can always rebuild classic.

post-50555-0-93129600-1528047238_thumb.jpg

I think I might just be ok with sacrilege. When i find a decent 10s Record groupset I can always rebuild classic.

Just pulling your leg :P  It's going to be an awesome build!

I have a few current questions:

1. Any way to tell titanium BB from aluminium other than trying to guess if it's colour is silver vs dark grey metal?
  2. Anyone have a secret source for 1 inch headsets as I only have the record headset cups.
  3. Any idea on what this paint scheme was designated, I can't find it on another b-stay model on google, only on the mk1/mk2's with slight variations.
  4. Regarding the paint, I want to leave the art decor as is - bar some minor scuffs on the drive side chain stay and one tiny scratch near the b-saty logo it is otherwise perfect. I do however want to touch up the black around the dropouts and touch up the clear coat in one or two spots. Thoughts on this?

Titanium is hard as heck, a sharp blade will quick tell the difference.