Help please!! Scott Spark 920 or RC Team??

8_Mad

Won't adding a dropper post and possibly a 120mm fork to the RC make it's weight then similar to the 920?

RC Team is full carbon, 920 has a carbon front triangle and alloy rear stays. I doubt I'll change the suspension in the near future but the option is there.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly by the time you've added the dropper the weight difference is well below 1kg and unless you are challenging for the podium the beefier fork, additional travel and slacker angles will be much more fun.

Also, I have the 910 and I've never noticed that the rear triangle is alu rather than carbon while riding.

Edited by Jehosefat

Ja as stated if you adding the dropper to the RC, you might as well get the 920. And you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the carbon and alloy rear triangle.

No real point getting the RC, only to convert it to be similar to the 920.

Edit: In my opinion

Edited by JCA12

So here is some more background,my current ride is analuminium Giant Anthem, 2x11 XT,  A/C wide lightnings and a Lyne dropper. With pedals and bottle cage the Giant weighs in at 12.80kg. I do most of my riding in Tokai, greenbelts, Kirstenbosch and Table mountain with the odd PPA race and visit to the Tygerberg trails thrown into the mix.

I was a bit disappointed that the Spark 920 weighs in 12.80Kg as well and this was before pedals. I'm not a hardcore weight weeny but was hoping for a bigger weight saving by going carbon.

The only reason I am considering the RC team is because of the weight and also that it has a 3 degree slacker head angle then the Giant. I know the Team is the all out race bike, but shouldn't this slacker head angle feel more comfy and be a better descender then my Giant?

What is the weight difference between the RC and 920? I have the 910 and I am absolutely in love with it. I feel super confident riding down technical single track. That fox 120mm really does the trick combined with the dropper post. I love it! Lots of fun.. 

Ja as stated if you adding the dropper to the RC, you might as well get the 920. And you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the carbon and alloy rear triangle.

No real point getting the RC, only to convert it to be similar to the 920.

Edit: In my opinion

My biggest concern with the standard spark is that the geometry might be too slack and slow. I've come across a few reviewers which had a gripe with the slow steering and "barge" like handling. Is this accurate, did any of the Spark owners experience this?

I been struggling to get a demo ride in and thus far, all I have to go on is reviews and opinions so I appreciate all the input.

What is the weight difference between the RC and 920? I have the 910 and I am absolutely in love with it. I feel super confident riding down technical single track. That fox 120mm really does the trick combined with the dropper post. I love it! Lots of fun.. 

Officially the RC Team is 11.1kg and the 920 is 12.7kg. But its got no dropper, 100mm vs 120mm travel and 32mm as opposed to 34mm stanchions.

The steering is a bit slower in really tight and twisty sections (although that might be due to the wheelbase on my XL frame or my complete lack of low speed skills) but for everything else it's amazing.

I would personally not even consider changing mine for an RC.

RC Team - 11.2kg without pedals

Spark 920 - 12.8kg without pedals

My 4 years old alum Anthem- 12.8kg with pedals and dropper.

I'd love to feel my upgrade on the climbs and descends

Officially the RC Team is 11.1kg and the 920 is 12.7kg. But its got no dropper, 100mm vs 120mm travel and 32mm as opposed to 34mm stanchions.

The steering is a bit slower in really tight and twisty sections (although that might be due to the wheelbase on my XL frame or my complete lack of low speed skills) but for everything else it's amazing.

I would personally not even consider changing mine for an RC.

Would a shorter stem sharpen up that steering?

Any reason you're only looking at Scott?

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say look at the new Anthem Advanced Pro 1. Anthem 1 if you want to spend a little less.

Edit: I got the Advanced Pro 1. There is nothing I would change which I think is great. So in general, if you find something that has everything you want, go for that.

Edited by mjacres

Any reason you're only looking at Scott?

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say look at the new Anthem Advanced Pro 1. Anthem 1 if you want to spend a little less.

Edit: I got the Advanced Pro 1. There is nothing I would change which I think is great. So in general, if you find something that has everything you want, go for that.

I find that Giant Pro 1 sooo sexy and it looks like a very capable bike. I believe the Anthem Pro1 is competing more with the RC as opposed to the standard Spark and I felt the RC was the better all rounder between the two.

I'm looking at the Scott 920 & RC Team because I feel I'm betting a good deal, about R12k - R13k better then the Anthem Pro 1.

I know the Pro 1 comes with carbon wheels and Performace elite suspension but that also puts it's just outside my budget. The model just beneath the Pro1 comes with SLX and I wanted Sram GX

Check out this link for a shootout between the top 2018 XCO/Marathon bikes

https://youtu.be/04-NuArgJZ0

I find that Giant Pro 1 sooo sexy and it looks like a very capable bike. I believe the Anthem Pro1 is competing more with the RC as opposed to the standard Spark and I felt the RC was the better all rounder between the two.

I'm looking at the Scott 920 & RC Team because I feel I'm betting a good deal, about R12k - R13k better then the Anthem Pro 1.

I know the Pro 1 comes with carbon wheels and Performace elite suspension but that also puts it's just outside my budget. The model just beneath the Pro1 comes with SLX and I wanted Sram GX

Check out this link for a shootout between the top 2018 XCO/Marathon bikes

I hear you. I got a pretty good deal on my Anthem so it was pretty close to the RC price wise. So that sold me. Also I'm a Giant fan as you can probably tell. 

These new XCO/Marathon bikes are incredibly capable. So even if you were to go for the RC and only add a dropper I reckon that would be an awesome option.

I would say the RC because being on the heavier side I look at getting every advantage on the hills on the down I just let gravity do it's job and hold on for the ride. You are more easily going to notice the 1.6kg on the climb than 20mm on the descend.

I would say the RC because being on the heavier side I look at getting every advantage on the hills on the down I just let gravity do it's job and hold on for the ride. You are more easily going to notice the 1.6kg on the climb than 20mm on the descend.

at your weight you're going to notice the difference between the fox 34 and the 32 on the way down. Many of the 90kg+ hubbers call the latter poolnoodles.

Are the bikes running different tyres? A lot of the weight may be in that. I added 1kg to my commuter by changing to a 2.5 minion dhf and 2.25 crossmark from two sub 500g onza tyres. The dhf grips like k@k in a wolkombers. Happy days.

So summary of weight diffs:

More capable fork 250g ???

Dropper 400g

Alu rear 300g

Tyres 400g ?

Other bits 250?

I'd go 720 and leave the rc to Nino

at your weight you're going to notice the difference between the fox 34 and the 32 on the way down. Many of the 90kg+ hubbers call the latter poolnoodles.

I always wondered why Pikey liked his Fox34 so much [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Ive got a ?2013/14 large rc , with 120 mm dropper. 34mm 120 fox performance fork , wide lightning..... I love it and ride almost everything.

Get the 920 unless you have the bucks upgrading the whole bike.

My advice would be as follows.

Take a drive to Chris Willemse. Climb on a scalpel amd try it out. Pretty sure they will have a demo in your size.

And they have MASSIVE specials on now. Scalpel on for 75k. If i had the bucks i would have been there on day one.

Most likely you going to say the lefty bugs you. Just try it.