Help please!! Scott Spark 920 or RC Team??

8_Mad

The RC will climb better but it is so negligible is it worth it?

i would guess you might only be 2-3kph faster up hills, 

The only issue i have with my Spark is the lack of frame protection for a trail bike, they should have added something around the BB area

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you. I got a pretty good deal on my Anthem so it was pretty close to the RC price wise. So that sold me. Also I'm a Giant fan as you can probably tell. 

These new XCO/Marathon bikes are incredibly capable. So even if you were to go for the RC and only add a dropper I reckon that would be an awesome option.

This was the plan initially, should still end up with a sub12kg bike

I would say the RC because being on the heavier side I look at getting every advantage on the hills on the down I just let gravity do it's job and hold on for the ride. You are more easily going to notice the 1.6kg on the climb than 20mm on the descend.

I hear you, as a heavier rider I really appreciate every advantage on the climbs

at your weight you're going to notice the difference between the fox 34 and the 32 on the way down. Many of the 90kg+ hubbers call the latter poolnoodles.

Are the bikes running different tyres? A lot of the weight may be in that. I added 1kg to my commuter by changing to a 2.5 minion dhf and 2.25 crossmark from two sub 500g onza tyres. The dhf grips like k@k in a wolkombers. Happy days.

So summary of weight diffs:

More capable fork 250g ???

Dropper 400g

Alu rear 300g

Tyres 400g ?

Other bits 250?

I'd go 720 and leave the rc to Nino

The bikes are running different tyres yes. The 920 comes with Maxxis Forekasters and the RC comes with Maxxis Aspen. I have no idea of their respective weights or how they ride. I currently ride Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo and am enjoying. I'll probably switch the new bike to this combo.

My advice would be as follows.

Take a drive to Chris Willemse. Climb on a scalpel amd try it out. Pretty sure they will have a demo in your size.

And they have MASSIVE specials on now. Scalpel on for 75k. If i had the bucks i would have been there on day one.

Most likely you going to say the lefty bugs you. Just try it.

I initially considered the Scalpel. Wouldve liked to have partnered it up with my Cannondale road bike. I did not however want to cross the R60k mark. I see they have a nice deal on the Si1 Hi-mod but R75k is a bit too rich for me :blush:

The only issue i have with my Spark is the lack of frame protection for a trail bike, they should have added something around the BB area

Putting it that way probably not, but stretch the gains out over a 60km+ course and

might just be a bit more significant.

I picked up the lack of frame protection yes, will probably have to address this with some after market frame protection

I also feel that if you're trying to race and squeeze as much performance out of the thing as possible then go for the bike designed for that, in this case the RC.

If you want to have more fun and do some racing on the side then go for the more trail/xc option, the 920.

As a heavy bastard myself, the 32 on the RC would rule it out immediately.

The RC is STRICTLY for those racing for position. Steeper angles than the non RC, lightweight tyres (200g ea lighter than the forekasters, easily) and the noodle on the front make for a proper race bike.

If you do the "odd PPA race" then the 920 is your cup of tea. You'll certainly be far more comfortable on it in Tokai, that's for damn sure.

Add the weight of a dropper, proper wheels, proper fork and then the alu rear tri to the RC and you're at more than the 920. You're also over budget, then.

Going carbon doesn't always involve lighter weight, mostly added stiffness.

And yes, you will notice the 20% increase in travel. The legs driving the RC are the same ones as would be driving the 920, and that's what counts. You'll still have the twinloc on the 920, and imo that "2-3 kph difference on the climbs" is a load of twaddle. When every single watt and gram is important, THEN concentrate on weight reduction.

But - you'll still have a far more capable ride in either option. The 920 will be that much more capable and confidence inspiring (not to mention hardier) than the RC.

RC is built for racers. Spark is built for the rest of us.

2-3kph average speed climbing is not exactly negligible. Hell, I'll buy a S-works if it made me that much faster up the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at your weight you're going to notice the difference between the fox 34 and the 32 on the way down. Many of the 90kg+ hubbers call the latter poolnoodles.

Are the bikes running different tyres? A lot of the weight may be in that. I added 1kg to my commuter by changing to a 2.5 minion dhf and 2.25 crossmark from two sub 500g onza tyres. The dhf grips like k@k in a wolkombers. Happy days.

So summary of weight diffs:

More capable fork 250g ???

Dropper 400g

Alu rear 300g

Tyres 400g ?

Other bits 250?

I'd go 720 and leave the rc to Nino

I am just over 100kg with kit and on a Scale 920 with the 32 Fox and love it climbs like a rocket and with point and go on the down.

On 100MM of travel I have not noticed any flex on the Fox or Rockshox for that matter and I ride all the trails in Cape Town(even a couple of downhill trails by accident)

The 34 will be stiffer but I don't think it's necessary on 100MM.

But each to his own my choice hands down would be the RC.

As a heavy bastard myself, the 32 on the RC would rule it out immediately.

The RC is STRICTLY for those racing for position. Steeper angles than the non RC, lightweight tyres (200g ea lighter than the forekasters, easily) and the noodle on the front make for a proper race bike.

If you do the "odd PPA race" then the 920 is your cup of tea. You'll certainly be far more comfortable on it in Tokai, that's for damn sure.

Add the weight of a dropper, proper wheels, proper fork and then the alu rear tri to the RC and you're at more than the 920. You're also over budget, then.

Going carbon doesn't always involve lighter weight, mostly added stiffness.

And yes, you will notice the 20% increase in travel. The legs driving the RC are the same ones as would be driving the 920, and that's what counts. You'll still have the twinloc on the 920, and imo that "2-3 kph difference on the climbs" is a load of twaddle. When every single watt and gram is important, THEN concentrate on weight reduction.

But - you'll still have a far more capable ride in either option. The 920 will be that much more capable and confidence inspiring (not to mention hardier) than the RC.

RC is built for racers. Spark is built for the rest of us.

can I like this twice? Listen to Armpies. I too was light bike bedonnerd at one point. Learnt the hard way. Got a trail and not looking back. Had a sub 10kg dual sus xc bike, now on a 12.2kg trail bike and I'm consistently faster and more confident on both up and down. And, i weigh only 72kg. The bike's weight therefor has more % impact on my performance than that of my big boned buds. One of my friends is a really good rider. Finished 17th in his 2nd K2C, 9min off previous yrs winning time. Always embarrassing riding with him popping wheelies while waiting for the rest of us. Was really lekker keeping up to the top, then dropping him down gspot. Sc 5010 ftw????

Whole package > lightest bike

2-3kph average speed climbing is not exactly negligible. Hell, I'll buy a S-works if it made me that much faster up the mountain.

Along with not being negligible, it's also one mahoooooosive thumbsuck that has zero basis in fact. 

But it's not 2-3km/hr - I'm willing to bet with the same legs driving it that not even a aluminium 170mm travel Enduro bike with DH tyres is that much slower than an RC up the hills.

Yes an RC will give you a slight advantage over the normal 120mm Spark, but when it comes to racing for the average Joe I'm willing to put my head on a block and say that the dropper and more confidence inspiring geometry will give you the ability to gain more seconds on the descents than you lost on the climbs - and more importantly allow you to enjoy the ride more.

OP, just to put it into perspective, I have a friend who finished top 50 at Epic this year and 3rd at 36One on his Camber (Specialized's version of the Spark but even heavier and without Twin-loc). He is also on the heavier side and is tall (1.90m) - he's much comfier on the Camber and it can take the big hits that inevetably come with being a big guy.

Those Fox32 noodles found on the RC are not fit for anyone heavier than a feather. Yes, on your 920 on race day you are not gonna look as cool and fast as all the other lycra clad men on the S-works (and I am not bashing anyone here), but you will enjoy the ride more, be more confident, and more importantly, go just as fast if the engine driving the bike is fit.

The spark frame actually reduces suspension travel to 85mm in climb mofe. This makes it a very efficient bike.

Unless you are an out and out racing snake then it's a no-brainer to pick the spark over the spark Rc

You're gonna love it! Keep us posted

So it's taken me 3 weeks to make this decision. Now that I made a decision, there's no XL stock. FML!!

There's a 910 available but don't smaak the 2018 colour scheme.

I had an old SL same as the RC, great frame, was light could flick it round easy, u clearly stated u wanna keep the rubber on the ground and ur a slower rider, get the stock RC u gonna love it. No need for a new fork or dropper for XC riding.

I wouldn’t trade and RC for a 920.

Archived