Desert Dash 2018

sias

Sorted!!

Ticket details:

Ticket Detail: 1x Sub Veteran Men (Age on 31 Dec 18 = 30-39) Ticket Price: N$3000.00 TOTAL: N$3000.00

See you guys and gals there!!

I don't see your name on the start list?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am doing solo for the first time.

My mtb has a shimano xt 2x11, but the electronical version DI2.

Does anybody have experience with the DI2 at the desert dash? Heard of any problems due to the heat or dust?

Thanks for your help,

Oliver

Does anybody have experience with the DI2 at the desert dash? Heard of any problems due to the heat or dust?

It's just like any other race, only longer. If it hasn't given you any issues in your other races, I see no reason why it should start acting up on the Dash. Only issue I can think of is maybe battery life? Don't know what time you're aiming for, but maybe have some extra battery power handy.

I don't see your name on the start list?

Strange, it should be there. But I likely won’t be.

Been traveling way too much to have any consistent training in. Have done no long rides.

Hopefully I can transfer my entry to 2019

60 days...aish

If anyone local okes are keen, we're heading down to Windhoek on the 19th October doing Stage 1 and 2 and then camping next to road. 20th Stage 3 and 4 and then drive back to Swakop

It's just like any other race, only longer. If it hasn't given you any issues in your other races, I see no reason why it should start acting up on the Dash. Only issue I can think of is maybe battery life? Don't know what time you're aiming for, but maybe have some extra battery power handy.

Thank you, sias!

I had no specific problems with the DI2 at other races.

Somebody told me about problems with battery life due to the heat.... I will carry an extra battery and a cable for my powerbank. By the way: I am aiming to finish....;-)

Do you know, if Mannies bike mecca or somebody else has enough co2-bombs in stock? I am not allowed to carry these on a plane and arrive late (05. Decembre). I tried to contact Mannies bike mecca, but I failed.

Do you know, if Mannies bike mecca or somebody else has enough co2-bombs in stock?

Mannies will have enough! I have never punctured on the Dash and heard of very few people that have punctured.

The heat is only an issue for about 2.5 hours from the start and then maybe from 10:00 the next morning, but by then you should be closer to the coast and cooler weather. If you re-charge at halfway you should be fine.

So it's getting to that time again where I'm getting nervous as a school boy on his way to the Pope's room

Sias, can't remember if you're riding again this year. Shall we meet up and cry on each others shoulders?

Sias, can't remember if you're riding again this year. Shall we meet up and cry on each others shoulders?

Sias never ever cry . . . ever.  :ph34r:

IH8MUD, forgot about you. You riding this year?

How bout a hub get together pre-race?

Not this year . . . sorry.  :blush:

Live has just been happening in to many areas at once. 

Bicycles been standing with flat tires for months now.  :thumbdown:  

So it's getting to that time again where I'm getting nervous as a school boy on his way to the Pope's room

Doing solo again. Not as nervous as previous years as I'll be riding with my BIL and Discoman from the Hub. We aim to finish in about 22 hours.

How bout a hub get together pre-race?

I plan to be in WDK from the 5th - the mall where we start might be a good place.

Sias never ever cry . . . ever.  :ph34r:

Only deep down inside!  :D

Only deep down inside!  :D

Nice way of saying it. Like your flirting with pain mentality. :) 

All the best. Koen

To the veteran Desert Dashers: I have no problem with the distance - I just want to be more knowledgeable about the temperature variances. I'm coming from Cape Town, so both the altitude of Windhoek and the dry air are already factors to us coastal guys. How cold does it get during the night hours? I'm hearing it gets down to near zero...is this the exception or can we expect a real plunge in temperature (normal, average conditions)?