sias

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for the reply

A friend and I want to do it solo but ride together (don't even know if that'll work) - I've been reading all the past treads now as well and I must say that I will not consider the 1x11 anymore  :whistling:. I'm going to go with a 2x11 rig - I just think the 2x11 will give me more options. 

His family stays in Namibia so we will definitely mingle with the locals

Hi Robert. 

Are you planning on doing a solo?

I can't comment on training, but here's some insight I have on doing the various stages a few times before

Stage 1: 2 big climbs, 34T upfront MAY be okay depending on how strong you are. Many riders push up the second climb. It's also stupid hot and if you're not used to riding at altitude, it will hurt.

Stage 2: Climbs not as big, but ends with what they call the 12 apostles. They are a climbs at the end of the stage. Also consists of a massive drop down US pass, you need to make sure you're at the bottom before dark as it can be very sketchy. Expect a serious headwind on some sections

Stage 3: Easily the worst stage of the dash with climb upon climb. Get ready to give up cycling for good at the halfway mark. Again, depending on how strong you are, get the smallest ring your comfortable with, you will need all the advantage you can get. This stage is completely in the dark, make sure your lighting is up to par

Taking a breather on one of the climbs of stage 3:

attachicon.gifIMG_20181021_072206.jpg

Stage 4: An easy stage, but mostly in the dark with serious corrugation. Don't believe anyone that says the road was graded, they are talking bollocks. If you can handle that, you can really push hard here

Stage 5: Don't let anyone fool you by saying this is an easy stage. Kilometers of the same scenery roll by for days on end. What makes it worse is that you HAVE to cycle on the gravel next to a smooth as silk tar road. Awesome decent as you enter the checkpoint though

Stage 6: The most technical stage of the lot in my opinion and not a lot of fun on tired legs. Most riders here end up in batches and the spirits are high which makes for a great vibe. Starts in soft loose sand that will drain all your energy....then it goes into a 3km climb that leads into an extremely steep, but short climb...just before another one. Few more loose sand patches here and there, but relatively easy going until you reach the plotte pat. This is the part that always breaks me, although most say it's fairly easy. Long tar road in headwind is not what I call fun, but it leads into Swakop where you coast through town to finish

Final checkpoint: Beer and lots of it. Do not go home. Stay and mingle with the locals, you will not be sorry

Of all the races I've done, the dash is easily the worst and the best. No amount of training I believe (unless you're Sias) can prepare you for it, so just go in and "enjoy" it

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Thank you very much Sias

I'm a fairly competent climber but I'm not a fast climber - I have quite a slow cadence (I am more comfortable at a lower cadence than spinning) - I think I will go with a 2x11 to be safe, I do have all the parts and may just as well slap it on  :D

Would a similar training program which I used for the Baviaans (between 12-15 hours of training per week) suffice or will I have to up the anti? You will have to up your game a bit! I did some 5 hour + rides on weekends, the longest being 8 hours last year.

My next question is about the bike, will I be able to ride on a steed with a 1x11 gear config? Yes

I have an oval 34T in the front with a 11/46T at the back. How strong of a climber are you? This year I'm running with a 32 f and 10-50 r just to make it easier for myself in the first 180km and to have some legs left for the last 190km.

I'm not where I am supposed to be! Not much to do but maintain the little form I have! last few day of shorter rides and then start packing next Monday and leaving at 04:00 on the 4th, hopefully in Windhoek at 19:00 the same day...

See deadline for substitutions is the 27th of November at a cost of N$500

Friend of mine has a Solo entry for sale. N$2000 for the entry. Anyone up for it?

I am driving to Windhoek on my own will arrive on 5 th and staying with friends .

In Swakop will stay with my daughter and family for a few days .

Anyone prepared to drive my vehicle ( MB Vito ) to Swakop ?

Thanks

Arno

I am driving to Windhoek on my own will arrive on 5 th and staying with friends .

In Swakop will stay with my daughter and family for a few days .

Anyone prepared to drive my vehicle ( MB Vito ) to Swakop ?

Thanks

Arno

Put it on the forum on their home page, as well as their Facebook page.

Apparently they had some rain and no wind

According to the latest weather we will have a 22km wind on the nose.......that is not he gusts that will have us pinned down on stage 2 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...

So? How did everyone do? We finished with 1 hour to spare, must say, toughest one yet imho. Stage 6 was absolute killer in that wind and Nonidas Road once again killed my legs. Sprint through swakop at mind bending speeds because we thought we weren't going to make it. 

If yellow BMC guy from Bloem is on here, please get in contact with me, I owe you 7 cases of beer for keeping me sane on stage 2