Broken Nipple in Rim

AlanD

Hi All,

A spoke nipple broke and a piece is rattling in the rim and can't seem to get it out.

I've taken the valve out and trying to get it through there but it's a battle of patience and I'm losing.

Is there any easy way or hack to get this out?

Thanks

Put the spoke hole where the nipple broke at the floor and rattle the rim around until it fallls out.

Edited by Dean9406

Remove tyre. Remove rim tape. Remove rattle.

Last resort I know but perhaps pull the rim tape off and inspect the nipples. I have the same situation with a nipple breaking. The tyre would not hold pressure so when the nipple popped, I pulled the tape off. Upon inspection all of the aliminum

Nipples were corroded.

The bike shop is swopping them to brass ones.

I surmise that the Stan's worked its way around the rim under the tape and when it got to the nipples the corrosion began.

Edited by RyanD

Remove tyre. Remove rim tape. Remove rattle.

Last resort I know but perhaps pull the rim tape off and inspect the nipples. I have the same situation with a nipple breaking. The tyre would not hold pressure so when the nipple popped, I pulled the tape off. Upon inspection all of the aliminum

Nipples were corroded.

The bike shop is swopping them to brass ones.

I surmise that the Stan's worked its way around the rim under the tape and when it got to the nipples the corrosion began.

Watched a video of a guy doing a test that Stans doesn’t have any effect of corrosion.

Us wheel builders often loose a nipple or rim washer in the rim while building a wheel. 

:devil: Pour melted candle wax into the rim until the sound can't be heard anymore. ^_^ 

Just take off the rim tape and and rapidly bounce the wheel onto a plank of wood, letting it fall about 1 - 2 cm.at a time.  Slowly rotate the wheel while doing this.  The vibration soon spits the offending piece out of a spoke hole.

The nipple degradation is due to two different metals in a corrosive environment.  Brass nipples will also corrode over time but usually outlast the useful life of the rim while aluminium ones fail a lot earlier.