Wheel runs up and down

Edereese

Hi Hubbers,

I fellow hubber that I’ve met via hub transactions recently purchased a set of wheels on the hub. The purchase happened not more then a week ago. He used the wheels for about 20kms and noticed from the start something was not right and being new to the game he could not pick up anything. Wheels are running true, just a hum noise the whole time. Eventually after carefully inspecting the wheels he noticed that its running up and down, not round. He then contacts the seller who’s first reponse is, ‘you not getting your money back’. He then told seller he does not want the money back, also he does not want the wheels so seller can keep money and wheels because he advertised as prestine condition and it was not so morally what he did was not right. Truly a very humble and genuine person, this is the second time we’ve met and we just stand and chat away after concluding our sales.

He then told me the wheels are in the car and his in his way to drop it at seller and I asked if I could have a look. Very nice set of wheels! Problem was, when I gave it the first spin, the bearings were so sticky I could feel it through my bones and at that point I realized that the sale was a total rip off. I offered to clean and regrease bearings and hopefully it will make it better. Still sticky, but a lot smoother. I then fitted the wheel on my bike and noticed the up and down movement. I told him to leave the wheel with me and I will see what I can do. I then did some research and found that it could be spoke tensioning.

Any advice as to who would be the best to get the wheel sorted? I’m hoping the hoop itself is not damaged as I will not let the buyer give the seller the satisfaction of having both wheels and money.

Also, I am not looking to name and shame or start a rant, I am just looking to assist a genuine guy that you don’t come across everyday.

Thanks

Road wheel.. it’s not running a perfect circle.. not true would move left to right, it’s runs true. It goes up and down. So if you should spin the wheel and compare it to brake pad, it would run parallel and then go a little higher and then parallel again. Hope that make sense.

Edited by Edereese

That sucks. Sorry.

Vertical play is still a part of true'ing a wheel. It was obviously built by someone with gorilla hands making big borrows.

Any decent bike shop should be able to have a go at getting that right

Hi and well done for trying to help, that, after all, is how cycling should be.

It's a wheel 'HOP', when one part of the wheel is out of round, but it is part of running 'TRUE'. If a wheel has a noticeable hop, it's not running true.

Any wheel builder should be able to assess the wheel and tell you if it can be TRUED. Sometimes HOPS cant be repaired, perhaps the wheel hit a pavement or something and the rim is rubbish.

Take it to a good bike shop, they should be able to tell you in a couple of minutes if the wheel is fixable.

Who is the seller?

That’s not important. I told the buyer if it was me, I would give a bad rating and prevent it from happening to someone else.

That’s not important. I told the buyer if it was me, I would give a bad rating and prevent it from happening to someone else.

You really should consider letting the members know who is among us. Thus easy step could save someone from going through the same issue. If he's done it to your mate, he'll do it again.

You really should consider letting the members know who is among us. Thus easy step could save someone from going through the same issue. If he's done it to your mate, he'll do it again.

Can't agree with you more. Hubbers look after Hubbers.

Can't agree with you more. Hubbers look after Hubbers.

Both of them are on the hub, the one more active than the other. It’s not my place to name and shame.. the seller will be able to identify himself. I just want to get the wheel sorted so the the buyer can get the same joy out of the sport as I do.

Again I say, he is an outstanding gentleman! And I personally will go out of my way to assist him. As for the seller, I’ve seen his ads before and even before this, I always saw the adds as ‘put a bike together and sell it at a profit. I personally do not support people like that.

This thread was started to seek advice, hopefully crown can sort out vertical play. As for the bearings, it’s much smoother

No, it is actually quite important. It will happen again to someone else. 

It might also help the seller to have "a change of heart" and do the right thing.

Bottom line is that 99% of the buyers/sellers on here are good honest people, we dont want anyone getting taken for a ride.

The "stickyness" could be due to the bearing spacing on the axle or the freehub,depending on what hub it is.

The out of round could be more serious.  If it is has fancy spoke spacing like Campy or some other paired or 2 to 1 designs it is easy to bang the rim and get a hop while you can still true laterally.

Pity you are so far away otherwise I could assess it for you.

Seller  :thumbdown:

The grittyness in the hub could be due to damaged/worn cones or cups.

Replacing ball bearing could help.

So if the buyer DID give the wheels back to the seller the seller could have sold the wheels on for a second time - good returns

I say NAME and SHAME - we have had it before and seller relented