Watt trainer

<hijack on>

Dave - any idea when this will become available for MTB?

<hijack off>

Hi Fanie,

I will be having this exact discussion with the Watteam guys at EuroBike, i hope sooner rather than later. The Watteam will however work on the Cannondale SI cranks so if running a SI MTB crank we can assist. 

Thanks for all the replies

my next question will be, do you use your phone or your watch. I have a Iwatch and does not support watt metering. Or do one sell it and invest in a garmin or fitbit. I do believe the phone mounted to the bike will work great

So it really depends what you going to use the trainer for? Is it social riding with Zwift or Rouvy when there is a greater focus on route simulation or will you be following a structured training plan?

If it is for route simulation best is to get as bigger display as possible, this can be a tablet or a tv screen from a PC.

If you following set intervals the phone is great as you can then put your favourite series or sports channel on to help distract you from the pain.

I will want to do interval training on it and the occational zwift app. Then I will want to use Then power meter on the road on weekend

I will want to do interval training on it and the occational zwift app. Then I will want to use Then power meter on the road on weekend

You are asking for 2 different things !!

A smart trainer has a power meter built in to the trainer for using with trainerroad/zwift/rouvy software, to which you mount your bike on and train indoors.

If you want a power meter to use with your bike on the weekends, then you need to be looking at a crank power meter (quarq/stages/4iii/watteam/power2max etc) or pedal based (garmin/bepro/powertap etc) 

Edited by shaper

Given that Zwift only runs on PC, MAC and iOS platforms and Apple TV I would suggest getting an Apple TV 4K for around R2500 from takealot and off you go. The smart trainers will connect via the built in bloothooth connection and give power speed and cadence.

Alternatively get an ANT usb, they around R700, and connect up to your PC then HDMI to your big screen if you wish.

You are asking for 2 different things !!

A smart trainer has a power meter built in to the trainer for using with trainerroad/zwift/rouvy software, to which you mount your bike on and train indoors.

If you want a power meter to use with your bike on the weekends, then you need to be looking at a crank power meter (quarq/stages/4iii/watteam/power2max etc) or pedal based (garmin/bepro/powertap etc) 

Depending on which one you choose, a decent power meter start at about R8000, might get it a bit cheaper second hand.

Okay

So best is

Get the indoor training with with power and connect it on my tv.

And ignore watt training when i am out on the road

Awesome

Hi Fanie,

I will be having this exact discussion with the Watteam guys at EuroBike, i hope sooner rather than later. The Watteam will however work on the Cannondale SI cranks so if running a SI MTB crank we can assist. 

When will those protection pouches for the MTB be available and can you use the same meter on both MTB and Road bikes?

My biggest concern with these is that they lay quiet low down on the cranks and you sometimes hit the bottom of the cranks on rocks and I am worried you will damage the meter.

So it really depends what you going to use the trainer for? Is it social riding with Zwift or Rouvy when there is a greater focus on route simulation or will you be following a structured training plan?

If it is for route simulation best is to get as bigger display as possible, this can be a tablet or a tv screen from a PC.

If you following set intervals the phone is great as you can then put your favourite series or sports channel on to help distract you from the pain.

There will be pain...?? :eek: