What is your experience of the ICG-IC7 spin bikes at Virgin Active?

StokedAboutSpokes

Howzit folks

I have been trying to do some power training at the Virgin Active in Claremont. This branch has these IC7 spin bikes at their studio which I was initially really impressed with! They are super smooth and in much better condition than the Watt Bikes outside of the studio. 

My first experience was that the bikes definitely showed higher power compared to the Watt Bikes.

What are your thoughts on the power accuracy of these bikes compared to the Watt Bikes?

I am in a bit of a predicament because I like to use the Watt Bike as I can connect it via bluetooth to my iPhone and use it with the Wahoo Fitness app paired with my Tickr Heart Rate belt and then sync to Training Peaks. But I just feel like these Watt Bikes are old and worn out. It's like riding a rusty old bicycle!

On the other hand, the IC7 bikes are super nice to ride! BUT... there is no way to connect sync the data to Training Peaks / Strava! It's all about the data and tracking your progress!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Down load and train using the ICG app. You can even customize your own workouts.

I have it downloaded. But it doesn't seem possible to share the data with strava / training peaks?

There are two models, old ones that VA invested in that has no connectivity, and a newer model that has BT.

I found my FTP was higher compared to a Watt bike, and also different to my crank-based 4iiii on a trainer.

I liked the colour coded zones, as it means only having to watch the cadence - and the colour (especially when in the upper/lower limts of each zone.

The built-in FTW test is a ramp-test which is good for their own training programs but should be used anywhere else but on their equipment.

Since I got my PM, I haven’t bothered using the gyms’s equipment, except for the treadmill, and Kauai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing:

Does it work?

YES! Providing the training is structured.

I was working with club mates and they showed improvements ranging from 5-17%

There are two models, old ones that VA invested in that has no connectivity, and a newer model that has BT.

I found my FTP was higher compared to a Watt bike, and also different to my crank-based 4iiii on a trainer.

I liked the colour coded zones, as it means only having to watch the cadence - and the colour (especially when in the upper/lower limts of each zone.

The built-in FTW test is a ramp-test which is good for their own training programs but should be used anywhere else but on their equipment.

Since I got my PM, I haven’t bothered using the gyms’s equipment, except for the treadmill, and Kauai.

I guess I will stick to the watt bike for FTP testing. Thanks for the feedback :)

• 3 months later...

I have it downloaded. But it doesn't seem possible to share the data with strava / training peaks?

Have you found an answer to this yet? linking to Strava or Garmin express?

Have you found an answer to this yet? linking to Strava or Garmin express?

Unfortunately you can't log your workouts with other 3rd party apps. I have gone back to doing intervals on the watt bike.. 

My experience - Two things, Wattage is not accurate/consistent across bikes (Although that is probably more due to VA not calibrating). One day I'm blissfully spinning at 200 Watt threshold, the next I can barely turn over the pedals on a different bike but same wattage.

Second, (and this might just be my ignorance), How the hell do you get the bike to send speed/distance metrics to Garmin? I've got the power and cadence, but no speed and distance (I know it isn't real world distance, but I still like to keep more or less track of km's for the year)  

Agreed. I have actually moved to another smaller gym that only has two watt bikes which are in pristine condition. Both bikes give similar power output.

As for the data, I worked out a bit of a hack. I downloaded the wahoo fitness app on my phone. Then just connect to the watt bike via Bluetooth and there you go! You can then share your workouts to training peaks, strava and other 3rd party services.