DOT 5.1 fluid lifespan

Piernas Flacas

Hey guys,

I have a bottle of DOT 5.1 that I haven't used for maybe 6-7 years and the fluid looks a bit amberish in colour. Is it still good to use or is it gone? 

Don't use it.

Don't throw it down a drain.

Take it to your nearest MIDAS and auto service centre and ask them to dispose of it.

Don't use it.

Take it to your nearest MIDAS and auto service centre and ask them to dispose of it.

Cool, thanks, will do. Can I buy new one from them as well?

Fluid does not last at all well.  Buy the smallest container possible and dump the contents of any unsealed container after a couple of months.

Cool, thanks, will do. Can I buy new one from them as well?

Yes you can. Petrol service stations usually have 50ml Dot 4 or Dot5.1 brake fluid bottles available. That's all you need

Yes you can. Petrol service stations usually have 50ml Dot 4 or Dot5.1 brake fluid bottles available. That's all you need

Ok, thanks!

Don't use it.

In their bin at the back.....

Rather take it to you nearest Toyota dealer. They follow the proper collection procedures for dealing with used brake fluid

Hey guys,

I have a bottle of DOT 5.1 that I haven't used for maybe 6-7 years and the fluid looks a bit amberish in colour. Is it still good to use or is it gone? 

Dot 5.1, 3 and 4 brake fluids are glycol based which makes them hygroscopic. Hygroscopic means that they absorb moisture from the atmosphere. So, unless you've stored it in an air-tight container in a desicant rich environment, it will in all probability be useless. It absorbs water/moisture at about 2-3% per year. Going by that there most probably is about 20% water in that bottle of brake fluid. As others have said, dipose of it responsibly and next time buy just enough for your immediate need.

• 1 month later...

So, it took said bottle of DOT 5.1 to Midas in 4ways Xing and they wouldn't take it for disposal. They referred me to MotoLube, which makes absolute sense, but they also wouldn't take it!(?)

Neither of them sell it, so I went to Cajees in Pineslopes. Bought a new bottle there and they promised to dispose responsibly of the old one. I hope they will.  :thumbup:

Archived