Upgrading Fork FOX/MRP

New2ride2015

What about about the Fox Talas range? They adjust between two positions in the fly in 20mm increments so you could have it set at 140/160 or 130/150 and adjust to either at the flick a switch.

Did think of that but i wouldn’t mind having the 150 for everything and the 160 for tougher stuff if I find i can manage it on shorter more downhill days. MRP and Pro 2 I can change just I suppose taking it apart won’t be changing as frequently

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other way around. The Fox is longer for the same amount of travel. I measured it, at 150mm my RS Pike has very close to the same axle to crown length as the 140mm Fox32 that it came with. (The RS about 4mm longer at 150mm, but there may be some measurement error.)

So a 150mm RS leaves the geometry very similar to what you have. A 160mm fox will raise the front end about 20mm more, and I don't think it will be a lekker All-day-every-day bike then. Very lekker for steep bits, but it feels like you are sitting behind the back wheel when pedalling uphill. So scratch that fox36 idea.

Remember, that 32 on the giant has one MOERSE TA dropout thing, which I haven't yet seen on any other FOX. Raises the A2C by at least 10-15mm over a "normal" fork. 

I had a 140mm/32 on my trance and when I changed it to a 150mm/34 that was a significant difference the biggest was going from a 32 to a 34 stantion which seriously reduces the flex you would get on rowdy trails. Perhaps going 160 on the trace is overkill but hey I run a 170mm stage on my reign and climb just about everything... Also if you can chat to droo about his stage that he has, have the damper upgrade done... basically makes it a ribbon air for a lot less moola! Mrp for the win! Best service and you'll never meet a more genuine person than Brenton from Trail tech or otherwise known as Bibi here in hubland. Oh and mrp have the longest service intervals literally double that of the other big brands.

Yea that’s I think what will make the most difference to me. On flow trails the 32 with added token and more air pressure feels cool but on the rocky faster stuff it loses it. I think 160 would be overkill but if I can swap it to 150 for everyday and 160 when I do bigger days out that I think would be the smartest option. Really like the look and specs of the MRP Ribbon and would be able to put it on any 27.5 frame/bike in the future adjusting the travel from 140-160 and having a really great high end fork. Would also then be boost if new frame or bike had boost rear. Just makes more sense to try stick with current trends rather than have to upgrade to a boost fork and hubs if in a year or two I upgrade bike or frame. I need to test ride bikes like the hd4 and similar 160 bikes with “updated” geo to see how they climb in comparison to what a trance with a 150/160. Tyre choice has always made big differences to how the trance feels depending on terrain I just often wonder if I would enjoy a 160 bike with say ardent race/dhf for everyday and if it would be that much worse. Swapping to aggressor or something for other days. Test rides I suppose will tell. Also easy I suppose to get thrown off by guys test riding bikes online (YouTube) when you don’t really know how they ride, what the trails are like and so on. May be too much bike for my rides.

Remember, that 32 on the giant has one MOERSE TA dropout thing, which I haven't yet seen on any other FOX. Raises the A2C by at least 10-15mm over a "normal" fork.

Yea that it does haha if I go the upgrade route I will def do some measurements. Interesting to know.

Trance and Mattoc here. Happy as a hornet. Takes a while to get the dials um, well... dialed.

Also noticed it likes more air than recommended for my weight. That might just be a preference thing. But once you're happy with settings it behaves beautifully. 

Trance and Mattoc here. Happy as a hornet. Takes a while to get the dials um, well... dialed.

Also noticed it likes more air than recommended for my weight. That might just be a preference thing. But once you're happy with settings it behaves beautifully. 

Awesome shot, I may very well go that route too. Cant beat the price and really good reviews. I do enjoy setting up suspension and dialing it in so no worries with that.