Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

If you think the politicians give a **** about white elitist cyclists being mugged then you are sadly mistaken.

It's not about whether they care about the white elitist cyclists, it's about the repetition of the message that the government is not in control of crime. Crime is typically more prevalent in poorer urban communities, this is the case worldwide, but it's when violent crime hits the rich (white or black) that it really emphasises just how out of control things are. So in a country where black people are the majority victims of crime, you can be sure that it's a major concern for them and will influence their voting behaviour more and more, particularly for the black middle class in urban areas. And that politicians do care about. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent emails to various cycling associations and received this in response...: 

Thank you for getting in touch. We were also very upset to hear about this terrible incident. 

We have been in touch with a local company SheerGuard who have stepped up to keep the route safe and available to everyone. 
They have set up an outpost at the popular M5-R540 Circle every Saturday morning from 6am to 10am. The outpost is designed as a water station, technical support for cyclists and a security communication point. 
To further secure cyclists, Thompsons Security Group have provided 2 reaction vehicles to patrol the route over the same time and have put up a water station at the R374- R540 Intersection. Read more about it here.

If you would like to be involved with this initiative please get in touch directly with Ricky Walton of SheerGuard who is heading it up.  Ricky Walton <ricky@sheerguardsa.co.za>

How can we contribute to this Sheerguard crowd? Edit: and Thompsons

Will it be donations? on Sat morning?

Edited by CBlake

It's not about whether they care about the white elitist cyclists, it's about the repetition of the message that the government is not in control of crime. Crime is typically more prevalent in poorer urban communities, this is the case worldwide, but it's when violent crime hits the rich (white or black) that it really emphasises just how out of control things are. So in a country where black people are the majority victims of crime, you can be sure that it's a major concern for them and will influence their voting behaviour more and more, particularly for the black middle class in urban areas. And that politicians do care about.

Well put buddy - always enjoy well reasoned input, rather than the knee jerk stuff that social media is infamous for

Edited by Antoo

How can we contribute to this Sheerguard crowd?

Will it be donations? on Sat morning?

I will reply to their email and inquire...

Crime has been escalating and the ANC have shown to not really care to much and do very little about it. Again, if you believe the ANC are concerned about crime beyond paying lip service then you are mistaken. The ANC dont give a **** , and even less so when it involves whites cycling in the cradle.

How many more ppl of all races are going to be brutally murdered before the ANC think it will threaten their power?

Reply received from info@bicyclesouth.co.za

Just to clarify we are not running this initaitve. It is a private undertaking by SheerGuard (their founder Ricky is a passionate cyclist!).
I am sure that they would appreciate any help and I suggest that you contact them directly to offer assistance.
Ricky Walton
Mobile
: +27 81 312 3918 / Office: +27 11 704 4470

All the best,

Leonie Mervis
Bicycle South Media Office 
+27 82 463 7781

Crime has been escalating and the ANC have shown to not really care to much and do very little about it. Again, if you believe the ANC are concerned about crime beyond paying lip service then you are mistaken. The ANC dont give a **** , and even less so when it involves whites cycling in the cradle.

How many more ppl of all races are going to be brutally murdered before the ANC think it will threaten their power?

It's not only whites cycling in the cradle......

It's not only whites cycling in the cradle......

of course, however cycling is overwhelmingly a white sport, and is veiwed as an elitist sport, like golf. The people actually partaking in cycling and/or golf are a fraction of a percent of the voting public and the ANC are not targetting nor appeal to those voters.

However, we detracting from the thread, apologies.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Please see reply from Ricky Watson below: 

I think good if we as cyclists enjoying the Cradle support and contribute to this initiative to make it safer ... I will certainly contribute to the fund to support fuel and pay the guards, I trust more will follow... 

I will suggest to Ricky to have details of the fund available at the security points that they are setting up and I hope to see many of us stopping and collect info to allow us making a contribution! 

Good news travels fast 

Thank you for your offer, we would love to extend this to Sunday as well and possibly look at going from 6-1pm. We found a lot of cyclists appreciated our tool and spares kit so we are also busy adding to the offering.

Our biggest challenge is manpower on weekends.

Perhaps we could set up a contribution fund for fuel and the guards?

Clearly Yours

Ricky Walton

Mobile: +27 81 312 3918 / Office: +27 11 704 4470
Edited by jackievs

Cycling in South Africa is popular for professionals, social riders and family outings. Sadly, this sport attracts a bad element in the form of bike-jackers! The main attraction is the price of a modern bicycle which can range anywhere between R 4 000.00 and R 200 000.00. Every weekend thousands of Gauteng cyclists take advantage of the clean air and open mountain views that the Cradle Cycle Route offers, unfortunately the remoteness of the route also allows free reign for criminal activity.

On the morning of Saturday 11th August a shocking incident occurred whereby a lone cyclist was shot in the back and robbed of his bicycle, cycling shoes and left for dead on the side of the road. (The event was covered by Carte Blanche last Sunday, the video clip is attached below.)
This kind of crime can only be described as cowardly and barbaric, yet it happens far more frequently than we care to think about.

In response to the violent attack, SheerGuard has started an initiative by stationing an outpost at the popular M5-R540 Circle every Saturday morning from 6am to 10am. The outpost is designed as a water station, technical support for cyclists and a communication point to report any strange or unsettling observations along the route. To further secure cyclists, SheerGuard has teamed up with Thompsons Security Group who have kindly offered 2 reaction vehicles to patrol the route over the same time and put up a water station at the R374- R540 Intersection.
We hope that this initiative will contribute to the safety of our cycling community so that they can continue to enjoy the sport they love in a safe environment.

Ricky Walton, founder of SheerGuard says “Being an avid MTB cyclist and enjoying the outdoors as much as I do, I wanted to do something positive to keep the route safe and available to everyone.”

SheerGuard offers South African homes the world’s strongest clear burglar bars and transparent security gates, to keep you safe in your home, but our commitment to protecting families goes beyond that in our community.

SheerGuard SA www.sheerguard.co.za

post-42956-0-23630900-1534932002_thumb.jpg

post-42956-0-74453300-1534932013_thumb.jpg

post-42956-0-40836200-1534932023_thumb.jpg

This is a post I came across on Instagram. Great initiative by Design in Motion cycles

https:// www. instagram.com/p/Bm-yKrQHXnz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=abmj3gkhkw09

https:// www. instagram.com/p/Bm-SKmCDHmR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18h7ivgkwe04y

Nothing is showing, just a long blank post. Did see the links on clicking reply though.

Edited by Dirkitech

Nothing is showing, just a long blank post. Did see the links on clicking reply though.

I sent screenshots of their post aswell