My 1st 947

CoachShane

Wow, its like reading my own post.

Also only got into MTB start of July. Did the 40km WFO, also entered into the 947. I'm probably going to be doing it on my MTB, knobbies and all. I was convinced (suckered?) into it as WorldNet is sponsoring a colleague and I to ride in their team as a marketing schpiel. At least its free and I get to start at 07:30.

What I'm going to do with lycra WorldNet kit afterwards heaven only knows. 

I'm trying to get myself as prepared as possible for the 947 though. Doing some races in between (55km Garmin at BRB this Saturday) and setting myself some intermediate goals (do a 3hr ride before the end of this month, 4hr in September, 5hr in October, all at 50-70% constant effort).

Good info above though!

Will be my 4th 94.7 with WorldNet, they really go out of their way to make it an incredible event so you are in good hands. They also have some prizes, I won a R1 000 last year for the most improved time haha. 

Suikerbos is excellent training, if you can comfortably do a full lap you will be fine for the 94.7. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suikerbos is excellent training, if you can comfortably do a full lap you will be fine for the 94.7. 

On this point, what sort of time would you need to be able to do around Suikerbossie to have a chance of a sub-3 94.7?

Since you are riding a MTB and not particularly going to try win the world funride championship here is a few good tips:

An absolute must have: Coolerbag on the back with a couple of ice creams and cold cokes (read cold beers)

It is going to be hot by the time you start and you are going to cook for most of the day in the sun so you may as well enjoy it. (Plus when the crazies come past on lap 2 we'd appreciate sharing a cold beer with you - will offer a wheel to sit on in return)

Fit slicks - they make the roll so much easier.

Wear good shorts and shammy cream - your ass will thank you later.

Good luck and have LOTS of fun (read stop at every beer and tequila tent you can).

[emoji106]

AND PLEASE> pull to the side BEFORE you stop - for what ever reason it may be... Also look before you waddle across the road in need of nourishment from whichever watering hole.

Hi also doing my first race this year not sure whether I should go all out or just enjoy the atmosphere of race day. Would love to go up against some hubbers on their 2nd lap though.

the tequila tent cash or card??

Hi also doing my first race this year not sure whether I should go all out or just enjoy the atmosphere of race day. Would love to go up against some hubbers on their 2nd lap though.

Who pays for Tequila? Just remember to stop at all the stalls that offer, last year there were 2 options,private guys and some chain dishing out, lots of beer on the way as well.

On this point, what sort of time would you need to be able to do around Suikerbossie to have a chance of a sub-3 94.7?

You need to be able to ride the 58km loop in 2h17...

sub 3h guaranteed if you can manage that, starting from bunch H or better.

Do a double lap.  First one go all out and then go out on the second and enjoy the experience.

Do a double lap.  First one go all out and then go out on the second and enjoy the experience.

You have to do a sub 3:30 the previous year in order to enter for the double loop

Doing it for my 4th year. I recommend riding for a charity. What do you guys reccomend in terms of grub for the ride. Preferably cheap and home made. edible and not too sticky

So they say ...  :whistling:

Just stating the rule, for me it's  worth the effort to get back on the road after I've killed my self once

Edited by kraines

I did the double last year and I need to give the appropriate warning:

I finished the first lap in 2h55,so I am not exactly slow on the bike. With that said, there was nothing nice about the 2nd lap for me. Spoke to plenty of guys on the road who felt the same.

So don't come on here at the end of November and complain that no one warned you, I just did ;)

I did the double last year and I need to give the appropriate warning:

I finished the first lap in 2h55,so I am not exactly slow on the bike. With that said, there was nothing nice about the 2nd lap for me. Spoke to plenty of guys on the road who felt the same.

So don't come on here at the end of November and complain that no one warned you, I just did ;)

Mate of mine did 2:50 first lap, took a break mid laps  at our charity's tent (DL Link) and dropped out on the highway on his second loop as he was puking

My last 4 or 5 94,7 (the last one being 2014) I did double laps.  I normally completed my 94,7 between 2:40 and 3:00.  The second lap was almost the highlite for me.  Like a nice social ride.  We were normally 3 who did it together.

To add. Stay away from the tequila stop, or have a crapload. It's crappy doing Malibongwe half buzzed!

I drank the tequila last year and ONE tot hit me hard.... LOL... this year it will be Homestead Ave instead of Malibongewe

Doing it for my 4th year. I recommend riding for a charity. What do you guys reccomend in terms of grub for the ride. Preferably cheap and home made. edible and not too sticky

Can anyone advise