Light, but strong, MTB wheelset?

LHAP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks droo,

Will certainly investigate CSixx and South Industries.

Apart from suspension servicing, do you guys at Stoke do custom wheel builds as well?

South Industries make a great product, and it's locally manufactured. Add a set of DT 240S and a good wheelbuilder and you've got a light wheelset that will take a beating.

CSixx are also worth a look, they've got the best crash replacement policy I know of.

If you're looking for light weight but excellent durability, seriously consider carbon rims. 

Enve's are well over R10k just per rim

South and cSixx are excellent choices and cost around R6500 - 7500 per hoop

Nextie Premium are the lightest and come in around R5k per hoop (the 25mm ID rim is quoted at 310g)

Hope or DT Swiss hubs are the best value/performance/weight combination - DT Swiss has a 240s Lefty option.

i would seriously consider Hunt wheels or stans crest mk3.

that said Carbon MTB wheels are only marginally lighter than stans crest wheels.

Going carbon is more to get a more direct feel - the carbon rims do not flex as much and as such feel far more direct.

by way of example:

ENVE M525 rims weigh 349g

Crest mk3 rims weigh 364g

Some good advice there, hellocolour. Thanks.

You're absolutely right that the wheels will have to withstand a great deal of beating from rocks, etc! People tend to think that the whole of Namibia is covered in sand, but here in Windhoek we've got some really gnarly trails! 

Check it out:  https://www.farmwindhoek.com/

Carbon: South / CSixx or check Nextie

Alu: Hunt (strong as), Hope (?) or keep rolling on the Spanks... love'd my spanks over my Flows and others I've had. Flows are tough but for some reason I just don't love them. 

Money No object: We are One https://we-are-one-composites.odoo.com/page/home - made n tested in Whistler and  have BCXC rims, Enduro rims and DH rims or blow the budget on Enve. 

Not to diss any one else experience but I've found AC Wheels awesome for road and the Wide L's are light but they do ding up easy. If I know anything from riding in Namibia you need something that is going to shrug off a few decent sized rocks on a regular basis. 

Some awesome advice there, nick_the_wheelbuilder. Thanks!

If you're looking for light weight but excellent durability, seriously consider carbon rims. 

Enve's are well over R10k just per rim

South and cSixx are excellent choices and cost around R6500 - 7500 per hoop

Nextie Premium are the lightest and come in around R5k per hoop (the 25mm ID rim is quoted at 310g)

Hope or DT Swiss hubs are the best value/performance/weight combination - DT Swiss has a 240s Lefty option.

Hey guys! 

I ride a 2017 Cannondale Scalpel-Si Carbon 4 and I'm very happy with the bike's handling, etc.

HOWEVER, it's overall weight is an issue and I find that I'm not climbing as well as I did before :-)

I'm quote hard on rims, since I probably don't ride with the necessary finesse... I replaced the OEM Stan's Rapid rims with Spank Oozy Trail 295 hoops and these are holding up very well! 

I'de like to keep these as my training wheels and for rocky trails, but would like to have an additional "racing" wheelset. This set should be much lighter, but still strong, to be able to cope with my far-less-than-perfect riding style... 

Any suggestions/ideas for such a wheelset or custom build? (Take into account that the bike has a Lefty fork.)

Thanks!

Louis

You make no mention of the budget you're working within or is this a money no object purchase?

I know cwc has carbon marvel hoops for 3k each I think it should be the same as nextie or other China imports. At that price it might be worth a look.

???? I know its Friday but those rims are R6K ea :ph34r:

Those are awesome  :thumbup:

AX Lightness Ultra 29er are 1250gr for a Lefty wheel set and German quality.

ax-Ultra-27-5C.jpg

I'm looking at R10 000 - 15 000 (with an absolute max of R20 000).

You make no mention of the budget you're working within or is this a money no object purchase?

I'm looking at R10 000 - 15 000 (with an absolute max of R20 000).

that not going to stretch to Carbon + DT Swiss 240S

Nextie on Hope Rear hub with a Cannondale Si 60 front hub can work within the budget.

that not going to stretch to Carbon + DT Swiss 240S

Nextie on Hope Rear hub with a Cannondale Si 60 front hub can work within the budget.

Or even DT Swiss 350's, I run them and they solid and just a bit heavier than the 240's.

Archived