Scott Scale 940 surgery (an average guys project bike on an average guys salary)

partydave

Was thinking this weekend while riding about what could be dropped to win on the weight thingy, assuming some have been covered by others, are you only looking at the bike or also add-ons?

Was wondering about :

- shoes / cleats vs flats

- Shortening the seatpost (still to a point where it is safe of course)

- Titanium bolts

- play around with different chain brands and go for the shortest chain possible on your setup

- Do away with the chain stay protector

- Shorten the stem so you don't need the spacers (or replace them with Carbon spacers)

- Moving any tool boxes on the bike to your back packs, thus moving from dead weight on the bike onto your body (could even consider putting your water bottle in the middle pocket on your back)

Cleats vs Flats: I like flats, but as weight weenie bikes go any possible weight savings you may gain (which you won't), will be outweighed by the loss in pedalling efficiency.

Shortening stem: Not a good idea to mess with a set-up that works for you.

Moving stuff off the bike: Why? You will still be carrying the same weight, except for the fact that it's gonna be uncomfortable and bounce around in your jersey. Seems like this would be a move purely to say you have a light bike while still having the same overall weight.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving stuff off the bike: Why? You will still be carrying the same weight, except for the fact that it's gonna be uncomfortable and bounce around in your jersey. Seems like this would be a move purely to say you have a light bike while still having the same overall weight.

Think the reasoning is because if is about overall weight versus bike weight is that on the bike you cannot shift the weight, where as on your body people don't normally feel the extra kg as much, but if you start looking at body weight and ways to slim down without focus on loosing some tissue, then you can start to look at:

- Which shoes you have one 

- Choice of the gloves 

- Choice of clothes (ie no baggy pants)

- Drop the gold chain around your neck  :ph34r:

- Choice of the helmet used

- and no long socks

But then again how far do you take it, as someone can say ride with someone that has all the tools and then you don't need to carry any tools on you (ie bombs, multitool, chainlinks)

Cracked my rear wheel on Sunday. Best excuse I can come up with for a new bike so the Scale will be turned into some sort of ridiculous project bike.

Ideas?

Cracked my rear wheel on Sunday. Best excuse I can come up with for a new bike so the Scale will be turned into some sort of ridiculous project bike.

Ideas?

Shucks, so putting everything back on the bike?  or convert the fork in a pizza slicer?  

Archived