Scott Spark 900 - opinion

Disher

Hi - the time has come I think to upgrade from my trusty 26" KTM to a 29 er. I identified the Scott Spark 900 as my next mistress and I have pretty much pulled the trigger to part with my hard earned cash. I think its a great looking bike with great value features and components.

its a 1 x 12 SRAM nx set up with full remote lockout front and back shocks and a dropper seat post. Here are the questions please lads and lasses. What am I not seeing and what are the opinions on the bike>?? I am a weekend rider who enjoys Van gaalens, NF, Rosemary hill, Red barn, etc. Probably intermediate in terms of bike skills but certainly not a fit racing snake. Okay climber but I do plod along on the big hills. will I run out of gears with a 1 x ??

i.e.: is that 1 x 12 ridiculously expensive to service or replace when the time comes. Does the 1x12 setup kill the chain requiring a new chain more regularly ?

Please assist with comments or guidance. Otherwise its new bike day on Saturday..

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing that springs to mind for the Sparks is that they use a propitiatory shock and theoretically spares can be harder to come by if you plan on keeping the bike for a loooonnngg time. But the Spark owners can probably give you some data about that. 

As far as 1x12 goes I can''t give much feedback, I have a 2x10, and have ridden a few 1x12 demo bikes. In that brief time I noticed that I did lose something either on the upper or lower end, but in nothing that I thought I wouldn't get used to over time, especially on trails. If you also do long rides on tar/dirt/trail it might make a difference.

When you say 900, do you mean the 900 RC? If so, have you considered the "normal" Sparks, they have a bit more relaxed geometry and are a more "fun" ride (just my opinion :))

Thanks - I haven't considered the RC because (speak under correction, that's a carbon frame??) - This is in the 30K mark (plus / minus) - will be kept for a VERY loonnngggg time. I don't think I will ever test the limits of its ability but I want a solid good all rounder for trails and the like,. Then whip it off to clarens and cycle around the square --

Thanks - I haven't considered the RC because (speak under correction, that's a carbon frame??) - This is in the 30K mark (plus / minus) - will be kept for a VERY loonnngggg time. I don't think I will ever test the limits of its ability but I want a solid good all rounder for trails and the like,. Then whip it off to clarens and cycle around the square --

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the RC is the "Race" version of the spark. 100mm travel, aggressive race geometry, steeper head angle etc. There is a pricey carbon version, but there is also an alloy:

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/scott-spark-rc900-comp-2018?utm_source=Click&utm_medium=Channel&utm_campaign=Google_ZA&ref=SFDR_197150937&variant=12673713700948&cmp_id=1369609401&adg_id=54108107225&kwd=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw08XeBRC0ARIsAP_gaQAJS4sKjrV_-AqA-fT2ZxvA_b1EYCd5nApF4LlfY389owh1ySX7uoAaAh-1EALw_wcB

Then you get the non RC sparks, that have 120mm travel, slacker head angle, slightly more trail oriented than the all out race RC.

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/scott-29er-dual-suspension/products/scott-spark-940-2018

Is it the 900 or the 940 that you're getting? 30k for a 900 would be a deal of note.

940 would be a normal one. RC only comes at 910/920 level afaik?

Bike Addict has a smoking deal in the 940 2018 model with the SRAM GX groupset, which is a step up from the NX stuff. That is what I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I ride similar places to you and the Spark is an ideal machine for your application. Pedals very well, relatively light, Twinloc and looks sexy AF in my opinion. Take some time to get the suspension dialed in terms of air pressure, rebound and fork volume spacers (I removed one for a bit more compliance). The saddle is a butt destroyer in my opinion, so look at something like a Fabric Scoop. You will not go wrong with a Spark!

Drop me a message if you have any specific questions

I have only heard great things about the new Spark I would personally just go for a 940 or higher model then you know the suspension is good I don't like the 960 and 970 front shock very skinny think 30mm steel stantions vs the 34mm aluminium on the 940 and higher up models.

But this is just a personal thing not to say the entry ones won't be fun to ride.

Disher I am a new Spark owner.

I went for the "940" as this is the last in the line of the aluminium frames.  The next model is carbon frame, with slightly lower spec components, and the components keep on getting better until you get to the RC model.

The twin lock-out WORKS !!!!  If you want to ride on tar or similar surfaces you click it twice to get "full lockout", thus no bobbing and all your energy goes into moving you forward.  Once off road you get the option of the "traction control" mode (one click).  The shocks are now partially locked out, with progressive damping - hardly any bobbing, and yet it glides over rocks and ruts as you climb the hills - this REALLY helps !!  Once at the top you open up those shocks and have a stunning bike for tackling the single tracks. 

Ride a trail where you are climbing one moment, and suddenly you are heading DOWN a single track - THIS is when that bar mounted twin lock really helps to go from traction control to full suspension while riding ....

My 940 has the 1x12 GX setup, ie 10 to 50 at the back.  This gives you ALMOST the range of traditional gears .... but you have to compromise on either climbing or top end .... I have gone for a 30 tooth up front .... I need the climbing gear, and I am happy with the 40km/h top end.

The NX has an 11 to 50 ratio at the back ... thus another 10% you loose on the top end OR the climbing ....  The impact of this depends on the riders strengths and weaknesses ....  Do you USE both ends of your gear ratios ???  

I DO enjoy the convenience of a single speed.

I LOVE my 940 ! 

Trust  you will have good times on your Scott.

Bike Addict has a smoking deal in the 940 2018 model with the SRAM GX groupset, which is a step up from the NX stuff. That is what I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I ride similar places to you and the Spark is an ideal machine for your application. Pedals very well, relatively light, Twinloc and looks sexy AF in my opinion. Take some time to get the suspension dialed in terms of air pressure, rebound and fork volume spacers (I removed one for a bit more compliance). The saddle is a butt destroyer in my opinion, so look at something like a Fabric Scoop. You will not go wrong with a Spark!

Drop me a message if you have any specific questions

I must agree with him, I have got a Genius and felt average until I worked on my suspension set-up and now its WOW, Skill level is far behind the bike's capabilities.

Thanks for all the input folk, much appreciated. I am not a racer but have done the odd race here and there. Done a berg and bush and want to do another, perhaps a wine to whales or sani to sea.

The bike is attached in the photo. Its the aluminum version. Says 900 elite on the tube but other  than that I'm actually clueless to the exact model. I like the look and the components so unless I'm hearing that its a ginormous money sucking piece of cr@p, im probably pulling the trigger today...

Think it will give me what I'm after for the years to come..

post-62570-0-47980200-1540536471_thumb.jpg

I assume the OP is going for a 940, 950 or 960? As they all have 12-speed NX.

Edit: Ooops... Looks like its a 930 :thumbup:

Thanks the bob... its weird. I went for a little blip on the pump track but the bike was straight off the floor and shocks were somewhat "soft" - the seat wasn't in a great position and all in all felt meh. When I popped past for final decision time, the sales man (whose been great) pumped tyres, pumped shocks and in general put some effort into what the set up may be. WOW - difference.. 

Glad to hear that your thrilled with the dual remote shock lock.. was considering going for a lower model that doesn't have that. Kinda felt that I have never had it so wouldn't miss it if I still don't have it but, I do need all the help I can get and im hearing very good things about how it assists the rider.

Im not to sure about the rebound. Im quite a big lad at 100Kgs so would expect quite a stiff front fork, but will chat to the fitment guy.  Strangely intriguing how much of a difference it all makes. A correctly fitted and set up makes a huge difference.

Thanks again for all opinions folk

Archived