Flying on Mango/BA with bike

awesme

Mate they all charge extra for a bike, no matter if it is your luggage weight or not. Its classed as sports equipment on literally every local airline and they will charge you additional each way.

The only kind airline I think is mango who don't charge extra if you pay at the counter vs online, but kulula, safair, etc all do the extra charge on top of the extra charge if you don't buy the bike pass online.

It's classed as sports equipment and does not get classed as luggage.

The only way you can avoid this charge is if you buy a Ritchey breakaway which folds and fits into a luggage bag, and hope they don't spot that it's a bike, or they'll charge the right extra money...

Hence the suggestion of a cheap bike for the destination - cheaper, less hassle, less risk of damage, and far less stress... Don't know what your car arrangements are on either die of the flight but boxes fit in little other than vans or Bakkies, although I don't know about the evoc...

In my experience, BA has taken my bicycle as my included check-in luggage without having to pay extra. As long as it’s less than 20kg.

Mate they all charge extra for a bike, no matter if it is your luggage weight or not. Its classed as sports equipment on literally every local airline and they will charge you additional each way.

The only kind airline I think is mango who don't charge extra if you pay at the counter vs online, but kulula, safair, etc all do the extra charge on top of the extra charge if you don't buy the bike pass online.

It's classed as sports equipment and does not get classed as luggage.

That is not true.

I have this year flown with SAA, BA and Kulula with my bikebox as my allowed 20kg baggage.

Flysafair also treated it as a normal case.

Sometimes I used a bike bag an twice a carton from a bikeshop.

Feedback from Kulula...

If it's the only item being checked in and within 20Kg allowance then they won't charge.

Having them send this to me via email, will print and carry with.

G

Feedback from Kulula...

If it's the only item being checked in and within 20Kg allowance then they won't charge.

G

That has been my consistent experience.

I fill the box with clothing, helmet etc and just ensure that it all weighs about 19kg and I have been good to go.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

G

That has been my consistent experience.

I fill the box with clothing, helmet etc and just ensure that it all weighs about 19kg and I have been good to go.

Using your insurance or the airline? Just asking because my buddy used the airline insurance and they broke what I always thought was the strongest carbon frame (SC highball) and only paid out 5k.

Just double check as the all risk sometimes have limits for specific items (for example bikes), so although you might have R50k all risk, they will only pay out R5k for bikes

This only applies if you don't specify your bicycle under specified all risks. If the OP bike is specified on his policy and for the correct replacement value there shouldn't be a problem. The insurance company might ask you to try and claim from the airline first before they get involved. (but airlines usually have limited cover)

Archived