Flying on Mango/BA with bike

awesme

Hi guys

Whats the general experience. Will be doing this every second week.

Got a EVOC bag for the bike.

G

Pretty good, domestically the least full of nonsense for flying with a bike/sporting goods. The price is the price, no bitching if your bag is half a kg over or not. 

If you are going to be doing it that often, I would get a hard case.  It is not the actual airline that cause damage, but the ground staff and baggage handlers.  I have only had one bad incident and that cost me (or rather Santam) a new frame. 

Also, make sure you bike is properly insured for its full replacement value, including for when it is in transit, just in case it does get damaged or go missing.  

Edited by Dazshell

thanks guys.

Bike is insured under a all risk component of policy. but will double check/confirm with insurance in the morning.

G

Just double check as the all risk sometimes have limits for specific items (for example bikes), so although you might have R50k all risk, they will only pay out R5k for bikes

will do, we actually picked this all risk as it covers the bike in full, no matter what build,

without having specify each component, as it's custom builds.

G

Just double check as the all risk sometimes have limits for specific items (for example bikes), so although you might have R50k all risk, they will only pay out R5k for bikes

Firstly, the experience has always been easy, hassle free, and without damage or incident, done it about 6 times now...

However, at an extra 600 per trip, every two weeks, with added stress, would it not make sense, depending on how long this will go on for, to just buy a bike and leave it there?

Explain R600/trip?

G

Firstly, the experience has always been easy, hassle free, and without damage or incident, done it about 6 times now...

However, at an extra 600 per trip, every two weeks, with added stress, would it not make sense, depending on how long this will go on for, to just buy a bike and leave it there?

Thats a pretty big think,

can anyone else confirm ?

and ye the idea is to get a bike for down other side.

G

But i do see the bike note at the bottom... - Mango...

Might make me pick another air line that don't charge extra for a bike.

G

But this is not excess, I'm planning on staying within the 20Kg baggage weigh.
G

Edited by awesme

Guess then, my next question, who does not charge extra.

The bike bag with helmet/shoes is pretty much my only baggage.

G