Citrusdal / Piekenierskloof routes?

Dirt Tracker

Heading to Rockwood Farm just out side of Citrusdal this weekend & am wondering if there are any recommended routes in the areas that are worth it? Not looking to hammer 60 - 100kms under the blazing sun but more single track / descents. Also happy to leave the bike behind if it's more XC, farm tracks and gravel road orientated but the lady who runs the pace said there were routes at Piekenierskloof but there isn't that much info. 

A couple of others farms in the are seem to have some trails but can't really see how tech they are as the colour grading seems to be about length rather than difficulty. Any one have experience with riding the area? 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I will be staying at Piekenierskloof resort this weekend. Did you perhaps locate some decent trails while you were there? Thanks

There is some single tracks along the farms in Citrusdal. You can ask for direction at info office. One ride I done was a long climb on the road then turned left onto a long gravel road threw farms till I got a gate sign posted "The Snake House" there you rurn left. Fast slippery loose stone single track down threw some soft sand bits and farm roads. I just rode every possible trail that looked like a Mtb trail. Was fun. Check for the dogs on the farms. Some of them are not so friendly.

• 5 years later...
On 1/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, Esham said:

Hi, I will be staying at Piekenierskloof resort this weekend. Did you perhaps locate some decent trails while you were there? Thanks

Did you manage to find any decent routes? Please send Strava activity if available.

36 minutes ago, KK said:

Did you manage to find any decent routes? Please send Strava activity if available.

@KK are you looking for gravel routes or mtb trails?

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

@KK are you looking for gravel routes or mtb trails?

Both to be honest! Both bikes going with this weekend.

53 minutes ago, KK said:

Both to be honest! Both bikes going with this weekend.

MTB'ing i don't know - don't think there are easily accessible options unless you have contacts, maybe a local can comment on here..

Gravel - options for days in all directions, where are you staying?

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

MTB'ing i don't know - don't think there are easily accessible options unless you have contacts, maybe a local can comment on here..

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

We'll be at blinkwater just outside citrusdal. But happy to drive somewhere, park and ride from there to make things easier.

19 minutes ago, KK said:

We'll be at blinkwater just outside citrusdal. But happy to drive somewhere, park and ride from there to make things easier.

The first obvious route for me is the old TipTrans race route -  take the main road through town north (which runs parallel to the N7), turn right onto Niewoudts pass to Algeria, from Algeria take a left to Clanwilliam dam and then back on the route to Citrusdal - some nice gravel sections and a lekker downhill from the top of Niewoudts Pass. About 120km route

Then from Blinkwater up Middelberg Pass out to Op-die-Berg and back - a big climb and a mix of gravel & tar, road should be fairly quiet. Again about 120km

Third option I can think of is taking Grey's Pass (the gravel route running next to Piekenierskloof/N7) starting at the Modderfontein farm over to the Swartland/Piketberg area and do a loop there - even up Piket-bo-Berg if you have the time & fitness.

There are more options to the Elands Bay side but these are the ones I have done.